1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Official Thread of Opening Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Apr 1, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

If you're a Mets fan, this year will look very familiar to you. It'll be 2001 all over again. As usual, Mets ownership has gotten fat and lazy off one successful season and has done little to nothing to improve the team.

1986-87: Trade Kevin Mitchell for Kevin McReynolds
    1999-2000: Let John Olerud walk as a free agent, turned an outfield of Rickey Henderson/Brian McRae-Darryl Hamilton/Roger Cedeno into Benny Agbayani/Jay Payton/Derek Bell, left Mike Piazza with little protection in what turned out to be his last great year. Made the World Series because Mike Hampton finally pitched like the guy they'd traded three players for in December 1999 and because Timo Perez sold his soul to the devil.
    2000-01: Did absolutely nothing except swapping Hampton for Kevin Appier and Bobby Jones for Steve Trachsel. Good moves.

This year will be more of the same. Guaranteed.

2. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Whoever had "Second batter, top of the first, opening game of season" for Joe Morgan's first diatribe against evil "stats" - you win!

3. boots

boots New Member

What I hate most about opening day is that it's usually cold. I remember catching one opening day ceremony in Cleveland with snow falling. That wasn't fun.

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

::Covers my ears::

I don't hear anything. Lalalalalala! GO METS!

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It's 85 degrees here and I am going to BBQ, drink beer and watch the 7 games on TV here.

6. boots

boots New Member

What's the sp level?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My first opener at Fenway was 1969, and in at least a fourth of them there were flurries or "mixed precipitation. Two of 'em were snowed out.

8. boots

boots New Member

I'll vouch for one of them. I got snowed in for an opener in Beantown.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Paging BYH, Paging Mr. BYH, to the baseball thread to mock LaRussa for overmanaging.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

A few things:

1) Can some of y'all post updates because I don't have ESPN2, and a few of my roto players are playing.

2) A friend and I have a running joke. She is a Yankees fan. I am a Dodgers fan. And we both agree that being a Mets fan is a waste of time (unless John Maine is pitching because he's one of my pitchers).

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Mets 2-0 top of fourth on 2-run double by Delgado in 3rd...Mets have 2nd and 3rd, 2 out in the 4th ... Reyes up

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Yuck Fou!

Draft saved Draft deleted