1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Official Thread of Opening Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Christ

Christ Guest

You are welcome, my son.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

We owe you big time this Friday and Sunday, good sir. We'll show up on time and give your our tithes. You've been too good to us. 8)

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Ah. Opening Day. The Marlins haven't yet begun to sell off their team, the Devil Rays are tied for first, and Cubs fans are already saying "Wait til next year."

4. The Red Sox could end up tomorrow in first in the AL East and the Royals in last in the AL Central. The potential exists that those positions won't change for the entire season.

Not saying the Royals have no shot but I will point out that Schilling is 3-0 with a 2.93 ERA in past Opening Day starts. If Schilling wins tomorrow - he ties for 93rd place on the all-time wins list with Eddie Cicotte who is best known for being part of the 1919 Black Sox.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Chris, that's great info and conjecture on your part.

Further proof that baseball is truly the salve the heals all wounds. Here's to a Twins-Sawx ALCS.

BTW, Christ, if Joe Mauer hits .330 with 20 HR this year, you're going to lose a lot of Lutherans here in the Upper Midwest. Say hello to the church of Joe! 90210 Sideburns for everyone!

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As I recall, the Blue Jays were the first team to open the season other than the Reds (forget the year and opponent - maybe I"m imagining the whole thing, I don't know). Not sure we can blame the WWL for that, the Jays have never got much love on there.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Schilling lost his last starts against the Royals.

And who else would sign a petition making Opening Day a national holiday?

8. boots

boots New Member

I've made up my mind. I'm going to see the Nats. Maybe I'll shake Moddy's hand and give him a hotdog! ;D

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hope you have a long reach. I won't be at the game.

10. boots

boots New Member

Damn. That will take all the fun out of the outing.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Reds' tradition of being the first team to start the baseball season ended long before ESPN started opening the season on a Sunday night.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Got absolutely tattooed last August. hi Oz! :D

Zeke, do you have any memorabilia from the Official Thread of Opening Day? Maybe a hat by True Value? (props to anyone who gets that reference)

Draft saved Draft deleted