1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The official thread of God's favorite quarterback, Tim Tebow...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: The official where will Tim Tebow wind up thread

There is no adequate comparison to Tebow and his popularity. He was a third-string QB with the top-selling jersey in the country as a rookie.

He went from "Will the Broncos cut him?" during the preseason to being one of the craziest stories the NFL has ever seen.

Selling tickets isn't usually a huge issue in the NFL because until the economic downturn, you could count on one hand how many NFL teams didn't sell out or come damn close to selling out almost every week.

That's never been the case in Jacksonville. That's Tebow's hometown. That's an hour from where he won two national titles and became arguably the most popular college football player ever.

He was also 8-4 as a starter last year and won a playoff game.

I think it was a fluke. John Elway probably thinks it was a fluke, but that makes dealing for Tebow a lot easier to sell than it would have been when he was coming out of Florida.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, I just don't think so. I don't think that the benefits outstrip the cost if the cost is winning football games, or having a better opportunity to win football games. I sincerely do not think that in 2012, the league being what it is, a team would sacrifice valuable roster space to sell tickets and get on TV. Again, the margin for error is so, so tiny, and your competitors are so, so good at this.

And I'm also not completely convinced that fans turn out to see individual players anyway. Maybe there's a momentary bump, but if you keep losing, they'll stay away again, and quickly.

3. Dick Whitman

Avatar bet? I say third round or lower. If he nets a second round or first round pick, I'll make him my avatar for a day. But if he nets a third round or lower pick, you have to make Bill James yours for a day!

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Charley Casserly: ā€œIā€™d be surprised if he went for much better than a fifth rounder.ā€

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Not accounting for how much money he will make for his new franchise.

6. Dick Whitman

By the way, don't teams all just split the merchandise money evenly anyway?

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It happened last year:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/10/ticket-sales-brisk-in-miami-with-broncos-qb-tim-tebow-coming-to-town/1#.T2dujfXlDSg

http://www.ticketnews.com/news/Tim-Tebow-boosts-Patriots-Broncos-ticket-sales121611593

http://seatgeek.com/blog/nfl/broncos-ticket-prices-increase-tim-tebow-denver-nfl-patriots

8. Dick Whitman

Right. While he was a novelty. That's why I credited the possibility of a "momentary bump."

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll make a bet with you, but I've seen too many NFL trades where the terms are something like: The Jaguars and Broncos will swap second-round picks and the Broncos will get a No. 4 and the Jaguars will get Tebow...

If that happened, who would be the winner other than the Broncos... :D

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

But that's all we have to work with. It's a promising leading indicator, along with his sky-high jersey sales. Certainly there's nothing to indicate that he WON'T have a positive financial impact for his next team, outside of "nothing lasts forever". And that's true of everything.

11. Dick Whitman

Again: I think teams split merchandise revenue. So no bump there.

12. Dick Whitman

But you can't just discount the long-term financial impact. If they sell more season tickets in Season 1, but lose games and ticket sales in the long run because of the deal, then that's a bad deal. I'm sure the Vikings experienced a temporary spike when they traded away the franchise for Herschel Walker. I think that we would all agree that it was, nonetheless, a net loss for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.