1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The official thread of God's favorite quarterback, Tim Tebow...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: The official where will Tim Tebow wind up thread

I think he signed a 5-year deal for late first round QB money, which was for a little more than $9 mil, which is dirt cheap for any QB.

2. mb

mb Active Member

Should Jax give up a first- or second-rounder? Of course not ... from a football standpoint. At the same time, it's not impossible to see a scenario where Khan tells his GM to go get Tebow, regardless of the price. If you're Jacksonville, you'd go from completely irrelevant and playing in front of a 1/4-full stadium to playing in front of sellout crowds and a huge deal nationally.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Jerry Rice in Seattle, Emmitt Smith in Arizona, Edgerrin James in Arizona, possibly OJ Simpson in San Francisco, Terrell Owens in Buffalo possibly Randy Johnson in some of his final stops, pretty much every major European soccer player in MLS. That's not counting overly cynical ploys, like guys in their 40s playing independent baseball or Owens playing minor-league indoor football, or colleges signing well-known coaches well past their glory days (Isiah Thomas at Florida International, Rollie Massimino at Cleveland State).

It's not as cut and dried because obviously nobody is going to come out and say "let's be honest, we're only signing this guy because we want people to come to the games and buy our shit." Once you know it's a placebo, it doesn't work. And obviously they still expect these guys to provide something besides good PR and a familiar face. But Tebow's a lot more likely to be a productive member of a team than Damon Bailey, drafted by the Pacers as an act of good faith, even though they knew he'd never be an NBA player.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Other than that, you know, he has shown that he can't play quarterback in the NFL?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Five years, $11.25 million. $8.3 million guaranteed with lots of escalators.

6. Dick Whitman

Here's the thing, though: None of your examples are within the last five years or so, right? To me, there's been a sea change in the way that teams are run. And I don't think Emmit Smith was a gimmick signing. They sincerely thought that he still had some miles left on his tires.

I don't count independent leagues signing Leon from the Budweiser commercials or Arena League teams signing guys. That's not the same universe as the NFL.

7. Mystery Meat II

That's a bit overboard, isn't it? I mean, you can point out that his successes weren't completely his, that he had definite flaws in his game that were paved over by good defense/weak opponents/dumb luck, and even that he didn't do a single thing to help his team all season (I would disagree, of course, but for the purposes of this discussion, let's go for it). Has he really proven that he is completely unable, now and forever after, to be a serviceable quarterback?

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dick, that's just a bullshit statement. He played quarterback in the NFL, and his team enjoyed what is universally considered surprising success with him at the helm. That's in the record book, right next to those usually awful passing stats. If losing one's job to Peyton Manning indicates failure, all but about three other QBs are would-be failures, too.
    Mile High, thanks for the figures. So now Tim's at about 7 million with say $4-5 million left guaranteed. It's not a penny stock, but it's not at the Apple-Google price level, either.

9. Dick Whitman

I personally think so. Just because accuracy is so vital in an NFL quarterback today, and it happens to be his worst attribute.

I guess we'll see, right?

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He got a $6.2 million bonus in August as part of the guaranteed money. And he took 73 percent of the snaps, which bumped him up to get a $250,000 bonus for the win against the Steelers.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If that's the criterion, we have to explain Mark Sanchez and his $58 million contract extension as well.

12. Mystery Meat II

Which is why I set them aside. But I don't think the advances in scouting are enough to completely overrule the economic bottom line. If an owner/GM sees a quick and guaranteed way to significantly increase his team's revenue/attendance/presence outside its natural footprint, and the benefits outstrip the cost, why wouldn't they do it? If you think Tebow can translate to 10,000 more season tickets sold and three national TV games they wouldn't have gotten on their own merits, and the price is right, don't you buy in?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.