1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Official Over-the-Hill Roller Rink Birthday Party Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by buckweaver, May 12, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Who's over the hill today, you ask?

Well, Moddy's birthday is today (and the big man can't deny it fits. Happy birthday, dude!)
    Yogi Berra's birthday is today, too (and no one would be surprised if I started a thread to celebrate him, I'm sure.)

But today is the day my darling Cadet turns the big 3-0. :D

And even though I couldn't count high enough to stick that many candles in her cake, and I couldn't even drive yet when she graduated, I still wanted to let her know that she's the best thing in my life, she makes every day a happier one and there's no one I would rather grow old with than her -- even if she gets there long before me! Hell, I'd even pick her over ... baseball. :eek: (You laugh, but it's true -- of course, what I neglected to mention was that she never, ever makes me choose. I am the luckiest man in the world, for that and many other reasons that I discover again and again.)

So before she finally sends back all those AARP cards she keeps getting, I'd like to celebrate her final days of youth with the party of her dreams: at the roller rink. Her only request is that BYH be the deejay, because they have such great affection for all those crappy pop songs that came out when I was in diapers.

I'll get the ball rolling with this, umm, classic: http://tinyurl.com/qvra8q

So post your favorite roller rink tune and your favorite roller rink snack, and let's get the party started.

Happy birthday, Cadet! :-*

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/69718/

Looser! ;)

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Your post and title are way better though!

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

OK, it was the 70s when I was going to roller rinks, but this was THE song for the roller rink back then.

Happy birthday Cadet, Moddy and Yogi.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Happy Birthday to quite a threesome there!

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Is there a blushing smiley face? Thanks, everyone! :)

( :-* ... that's for you, buckdub)

And I really have been talking for a while about how the best birthday party would be at the roller rink with BYH as the DJ. But it's too hard to get everyone together when we live .. everywhere. Although I suppose we could have rented out the rink in Tahoe ...

As for my contribution:

Time to par-tay!

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wait a minute...Buckweaver and Cadet are a couple? Nobody tells me anything!!!! :D :D :D

DJing your b-day party would be an honor. There is not a song on the planet that reminds me more of the roller rink birthday parties my sister and I used to have than this:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/218961/873018

Happy birthday to one of the truly great ones here, someone who is even cooler in person than online!

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Better BYH be the deejay than some of us others. His crappy taste in music is more welcomed.

(Dead to BYH now ... :D)

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ya gotta admit, Sam, roller rinks were all about bad music and nobody loves bad music more than the dickhead.

Meanwhile, happy birthday, Cadet! I always figured you were as young as Buck. Didn't realize you were robbing the cradle ;D

10. Sam Mills 51

Admitted, S-P. Seriously admitted.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey fuck all y'all! And here's another awesome roller rink song released before Buckdubs was even born!!!

(This is probably the worst "song" ever recorded, BTW)

12. Sam Mills 51

There's our BYH. Fiesty and all ... :D ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted