1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Official Murray Chass announcement

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This was sent out late last week:

Murray Chass, whose byline appeared in this newspaper some 8,000 times >over nearly 40 years, has decided to retire from the Times.
    >
    >Murray, who began covering baseball in 1962 and joined the Times in 1969, >revolutionized coverage of the sport by daring to go beyond the >on-the-field action and report on its business and labor issues. Along the >way, he established a well-deserved reputation as a tenacious reporter who >viewed each day as a journalistic challenge. The tougher the story, the >more determined he was to get it. Chances were good that he did.
    >
    >As Dave Anderson once put it, "I'd hate to be the President of the United >States if Murray were covering the White House."
    >
    >Murray earned the highest honor of the Baseball Writers of America in 2003 >when he was chosen as the winner of the J.G. Taylor Spink Award and >inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame the following summer. In his >speech during the induction ceremony, Murray neatly summarized his >approach to sports journalism: "What happens off the field is part of the >game. That challenged me as a reporter. I always viewed myself as a >reporter who happened to be covering baseball."
    >
    >As anyone who knows him can attest, he established a new standard for >sportswriters and held to it himself. We wish him great health and happiness.
    >
    >Tom / Sandy

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's just a shame they had to lie and say Murray had "decided to retire." I'm pretty sure the decision was not entirely his.

Still, I've kown Murray for many years, sat next to him in many baseball press boxes, like him as a person and have the greatest respect for him as a reporter.
    The Times is much poorer without him.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good luck to Murray. His Sunday baseball column was interesting. It always seemed to have some good tidbits from the players union. They have lost a good mouthpiece.

Too bad he never did get that final interview with Steinbrenner.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

among the greatest pure "reporters" sports departments have seen. a class act, too. was always approachable to me as a pup -- yes, i was once a pup. thanks, murray!! ;) ;) ;)

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Moddy (or anybody), who were the Tom/Sandy people who made that announcement? I am glad they did, though, but I still think The Times will some day regret letting Murray go. I'm predicting he will break a major baseball story on his own website some time, and The Times can go to their corner and cry.

(I spoke to Murray recently and he's doing better physically and raring to work).

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Tom Jolly and couldn't tell you on Sandy.

7. Boom_70

I bet Newman was behind this .

8. Ohiowriter

Ohiowriter Member

Sandy Keenan, deputy sports editor and, I believe, the wife of respected NYT reporter Michael Winerip.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Management of the New York Times or any other newspaper would lie about the reason a veteran reporter gets pushed out decides to retire? That cannot possibly be so!

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Newman!

11. Boom_70

Congratulations to Tom Jolly for a great week!

Draft saved Draft deleted