1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The official Duke-North Carolina game(s) thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Have to say I'm actually looking forward more to the women's game than the men's game. (Abby Waner ... kinda hot.)

In this part of the country, it's a special thing and always will be. So will N.C. State and UNC, though Heels fans will always underestimate the Wolfpack. Still, these should be a fun couple of games.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Chapel Hill fans don't sweat the Wolfpack ... they instead channel that energy toward Duke. Which is a big reason NCSU tends to aim so much venom at UNC.

And the circular argument never ends in Raleigh ...

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Probably right, but I wouldn't mind seeing Duke lose again, just for good measure.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... and Roy Williams could give a sh_t about North Carolina right now. :D You know as well as I do that North Carolina-Duke probably will stay tight. One of the best-ever games in this series was a Chapel Hill ranked, as usual, against a Duke team trying to scrape out its first ACC win. And these two teams are a little closer in ability.

Looks like the ACC just turned absolutely upside-down ... shaping up to be as interesting a season top to bottom as there has been in years.

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

As proven yesterday by FSU this Duke team is incredibly average in terms of athleticism, shot selection and overall ability. Even the referees couldn't bail them out Sunday (although it probably wasn't from lack of trying).

UNC should beat them by double digits.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Fuck Duke and Fuck UNC, too.
    It's all about the Pac-10 and Wazzu.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I predict this will be the greatest game ever.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If Duke is going to rely on Greg Paulus to score a career high to NEARLY beat Florida State at home, the Devils are in serious trouble.

It's the first time that Duke comes into its game with UNC with two straight losses AND the Tar Heels have come in with a loss since 1989.

If you take away Carolina's performance against an Arizona team that was struggling at the time (hi, Angola), and at Clemson, this Tar Heels team has had trouble finding its rhythm on the road. And, obviously, there is no tougher place to play than Cameron. It should be interesting.

Regarding Thursday's women's matchup: Duke still has to play Clemson (an easy game) tonight.

Somebody asked earlier in the thread if UNC will move the women's game to the Smith Center. The game has been moved there in the past but won't be moved from Carmichael Auditorium again in the near future. The current players prefer to play in Carmichael, so the administration is keeping the Duke game there.

9. Kable

Kable Member

Man, this is going to be a great game. I think both teams are going to be dog tired because K and Roy isn't going to take it easy.

Personally, I hope Roy and Co. get it done again because I can't stand Duke, but I was happy NC State pulled off the upset on Saturday. The Gavin Grant dunk was sick. With that said, UNC 87-Duke 83. UNC beats Duke in Cameron two years in a row.

10. The crew doing one of the games Saturday actually was bold enough to point out that, for a long time before there was ESPN and, therefore, any sports at all, Duke-NC stood for nothing because Duke was so awful, NC-NCSU was the game.
    I think Sox-Yankees goes back a little further than that.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Maybe we should start a thread for Tuesday's Virginia-Maryland game. That's a pretty bitter rivalry and it does involve a team sitting atop the ACC standings, unlike Duke-UNC.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Duke's women put away Clemson, so it will be 24-0 Duke vs. 24-0 North Carolina. It's pretty rare to have two unbeaten teams playing in February.

Draft saved Draft deleted