1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The official Duke-North Carolina game(s) thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Feb 2, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Check with Lute Olson on that one.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Guy at the office wondered why Dook Vitale wasn't doing the Duke/Virginia game last night. He then said, "He must be saving his voice for the Carolina game."

I responded, "And his semen."

Over/Under on in-game Vitale orgasms: 35.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I've watched plenty of UNC-Duke games. I grew up rooting for UNC (hi IJAG!!!). The UNC-Duke games were my favorite of the year. The UNC-Duke game from '95 is one of the best games I've ever seen

But nowadays, rooting for a mid-major, I find little to no reason to watch a regular season game pitting two top ACC teams. Who cares? They're both going dancing. Give me the teams with no margin for error any day of the week.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I fixed that. Mid-major? Ha.

Make the tournament. :p

Oh, and Jim Larranaga says hi.

5. ondeadline

You need to factor in that Battier is gone, though.

[​IMG]

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

You can fuck off, and you can fuck off hard.

dead. to. me.

You were comatose to me before the last comment. DEAD. TO. ME.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

As a Midwesterner who moved to North Carolina, I have to say I was disappointed to experience the Duke-UNC rivalry up close. Maybe people take it for granted these days, but there doesn't seem to be a great amount of intensity. In a lot of areas you know when it's rivalry week, there's just a different feeling. In the Triangle, you don't really feel the buzz out on the street or in the arena. (I haven't seen them play at Cameron, but the atmosphere in the Dean Dome was lacking.) People talk about it on the radio and in the office buildings, but I just don't feel any kind of electricity.

8. ondeadline

I guess the men's matchup may have lost some luster with the losses by UNC and Duke in the past few days. You might argue, though, that UNC's young team only saw Duke ahead and possibly looked past N.C. State. I know one thing: The Tar Heels are in for some hellacious practices in the next couple of days and will likely have fire in the eyes on Wednesday night.

Duke probably gets by Florida State on Sunday since the game is at Cameron.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I know a couple other people (native Kansans) who moved to North Carolina and have said the same.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

And now both teams enter the game coming off a loss.

Oz, I'd say NC State-UNC comes close to having the pure hatred that a KU-MU or an Ohio State-Michigan, except it's a lot more one sided. NC State is more of an after thought for the Tar Heels, which I think was part of the problem yesterday. I was impressed with the NC State fans yesterday though. They don't fill the RBC Center very often, but they did yesterday and there were times it was almost as loud as Allen Fieldhouse.

11. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Tar Heels will bounces the Dukies hard this year. Duke's not as good this year....overrated in the polls.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Duke wins, just because they're supposed to lose.

Oh yeah. Greg Paulus sucks. SUCKS.

Draft saved Draft deleted