1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Office2 (or would that be 3)?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lantaur, Oct 30, 2007.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

TVGuide reports NBC is looking into spinning off The Office (with new cast members) a la Grey's Anatomy & Private Practice.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/Exclusive-Nbc-Planning/800025959

Hell, as long as it's funny ... although I wonder if two of the same type of shows being on would take away from the one on now.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Worst. Idea. Ever.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Seems a little early in the show's run for that sort of thing. What happens when Steve Carell quits to commit to movies full time?

4. lantaur

A little early? The Office is in Season 4 (Grey's was in Season 1), although Season 1 was quite short. Curious when other spin-offs happened (what season).

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, Grey's was at the end of Season 3.

6. lantaur

As you can tell, I never watch it. :) Still, The Office beats it by a season. :)

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i'm sure that was said by many (i think me included) when i heard the pitch "american version of the office"

i'll give it a shot

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Point made, hoops.

I just don't know how they could make it different, but still good. I mean, how do you re-do Michael Scott without mimicking him?

9. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Maybe if you do something like put Rashida Jones or Ed Helms in an office full of fuck-ups, it might work. (Or in the case of Andy Bernard, make him a Michael Scott-type character). Someone on another Web site had the best idea...just do it with Ricky Gervais as the boss.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Same way you re-do David Brent without mimicking him, which Carell does extremely well.

I admit, I thought the American version would be the worst thing ever, just because I was such a huge fan of the original and thought it was once-in-a-lifetime lightning in a bottle. But I pretty much think their not fucking it up was once-in-a-lifetime lightning in a bottle, too.

This can be done if they make it significantly different that the original(s). There are different directions that can be taken here and turn out funny.

11. They could make it like CSI or Law and Order:

The Office Miami
    The Office SVU

Just had a brilliant idea...they could cast Belzer to be the branch manager! G-E-N-fuckin-yus!

Draft saved Draft deleted