1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Office" season premier (Sept. 17)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 17, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

i know several insecure, not street-smart former ivy leaguers. this notion that anyone who went to cornell cannot be a clueless dweeb is a myth.

also one of the many reasons i enjoy the show. the idea that being ivy-league bred = real world intelligence or moxie is false. and i'd like to think that is a messae totally intended to be delivered by the creators/writers.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's not about whether he could pass the test for Jeopardy; it's about whether he's sexually attracted to men.

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

A line I really liked that I think was so off to the side of all the commotion and would be easy to miss: When Dwight took away his business card from one of the interns and said You can never call me now, to the side Jim said something like:

"You're going to regret that when you're between a moose and her cubs."

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"Do people often say they're going on a sales call and then go somewhere else? Not cool!"

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Didn't Andy have some family ties that helped him get into Cornel? Maybe those times helped him get out as well.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I didn't like it, at least compared to other episodes of The Office. I like when Michael is a little smarter than that. I like when his stupid rants and ideas have at least some base in common sense, where even while they are obviously stupid, you can at least say "It's remotely reasonable that someone could come to that conclusion"

That wasn't true about this episode. Michael was just plain stupid and there was no way anyone would ever do what he did.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I thought the "am I gay" thing was more about his gaping insecurities than his intelligence. And haven't you ever encountered anyone who had academic intelligence but was batshit dumb when it came to common sense/social intelligence? They are two different creatures.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I just don't think common sense/social intelligence are factors when someone is deciding whether they're gay.

9. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Agreed.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yes. His dad got him into Cornell.

11. Baloo

Baloo Member

Wasn't Andy waitlisted for Cornell? I seem to recall something along those lines in the episode where he was trying to join the finer things club, and the group waitlisted him after a donation.

Great Oscar line (may not be verbatim) from that episode, btw: "Besides having sex with men, the Finer Things Club is the gayest thing about me."

12. billikens

billikens Member

"I learned, if you look even a little bit like Jet Li, Michael will call you Jet Li all summer."

I didn't think it was a classic episode, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Plenty of funny lines and just about everybody got in on the action.

Didn't think much of the cold opening until the very end. You just knew that was going to end badly, but I still laughed out loud when Andy disappeared into the box.

Draft saved Draft deleted