1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Office, season 5 premiere

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Giggity, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that was a great line.

2. I watched the episode at about 3 a.m. this morning online, but I could have sworn I noticed that when Michael had a goatee, there was a scene that it disappeared then came back later. Am I just imagining that?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Overlooked a post or three, or six.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nope. saw it, too. he was sitting down when it disappeared, i believe.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My favorites

"I never processed 9/11" - Ryan
    "I hate this worm inside of me" - Kelly

Dwight hammering fruit into the vending machine.

5. Even more funny was when Dwight stuck his arm up the vending machine to spray the rotten fruit. Hahahahaha.

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

And how about Dwight growing the beginnings of a goatee and then realizing Michael has shaved his? Awesome.

7. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Yeah, I can see them breaking Pam and Jim up only if he royally screws something up, or gets transferred far away.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Just catching up after a weekend away.

Mr. a_rosenthal was right. Kelly's "I'm gonna look amaaaaazing" line was the best of the show. In fact, I'm going to state an unpopular, but true thing: Kelly is a far more underrated character than Creed. Creed is funny, but the "OMG! he's so underrated!" stuff is silly. Everyone says Creed in their favorite minor character. Everyone. And he's gone from being so "underrated" he officially overrated. Yes, the credit card thing was sweet, as was the tape worm, but neither were delivered with the deadpan hilarity of Mindy Kailing's "Amazing" line. I still contend that her line during the who vs. whom debate ("Ryan used me, as an object") was the funniest thing in Season 4.

I liked the proposal. I like the idea that the writers might be challenging themselves by not doing the whole "Jim and Pam are Ross and Rachel" thing where they break up 100 times, but enjoy faking people out and making them think they will.

This episode was directed by Paul Feig (Freaks and Geeks) by the way, and he's an executive producer this season. He also directed an episode of Mad Men, if you're wondering about how the Art School Guy found his way to The Office.

The fact that this show could get Amy Ryan to beat box shows me it can do anything. Of course it's more over-the-top that the British version. So is 90 percent of American humor. A British version of The Office on U.S. television would have been universally sucked off by the critics and canceled after one season. It's a different environment, and it's a completely different show. For it to succeed, it had to have more mass appeal. Give Greg Daniels and Co. credit for walking that thin line so well and producing something that's clever and entertaining in its own way. Gervais gets it. He's said that he thinks the only thing the two shows have in common are the pilot and the name, and that they're both brilliant for the audiences they're trying to reach.

Also, again, I heart Mindy Kailing, who is funny and hot.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Actually, the guy from Mad Men made it onto the show because he met Mindy Kalling on the picket line during the strike and they both expressed their like for the other's show ... and then after the strike a deal was made for him to appear.

10. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

As soon as I read this, a light bulb went off. Didn't see say somewhere in the episode that her doctor told her she needed to gain weight?

11. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Yes, and they alluded to the fact that she and Andy haven't slept together yet. So, no mistaking him for the father.

Draft saved Draft deleted