1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Office, season 5 premiere

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Giggity, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Re: The Office, season 5 premier

"I have a nice comforter and several cozy pillows. I usually read a chapter of a book, and it's lights out by 8:30. That's how I sleep at night."

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I think they missed a golden opportunity in the denouement. Toby shoulda ended it by saying he'd lost 10 pounds while in the hospital.

3. Re: The Office, season 5 premier

Wonder if stuff with art school guy got left on the cutting room floor? Maybe they were just showing how she was making friends, but the second scene, with them giggling together in class, seemed to go out of its way to show the chemistry they had.

They better be careful here. If Pam cheats on Jim in any way or even displays temptation, they risk making her quite an unsympathetic character. After all, she cheated on Roy, too, with Jim.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I loved Kelly buying the tape worm from Creed to lose weight. And I agree with the earlier comment about Kevin. I would have loved it if they had stretched the story line of Holly thinking Kevin is retarded out a little longer. But, overall, a very solid episode.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

"It came from Mexico."

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Just finished the episode. Overall, probably one of the best season premieres I've seen recently. I'd give it a solid 9.2 or so out of 10.

Loved everything they did with Angela and I usually hate that character. Stanley as a black panther was pretty cool. Could've done without Kelly, but it's a small sacrifice to make.

I'm kind of curious to see how Darryl's (sp*) character is treated as the season goes on, what with him being arrested and all.

I hope they don't drag out the Pam/Jim thing and I sure as hell hope there isn't some big wedding event (unless it's Office-style, of course).

Also, the shoutout to the "212" and the rap video were genius.

Best lines of the night:

“Math is hard”
    “Happy birthday Stanley!”
    “I don’t need a judge to tell me to keep my community clean.”
    “I took your purse, what were you worried about?”

Oh, and the mention to the Little Drummer Boy was great.

7. Re: The Office, season 5 premier

Have to add Dwight's comment about guys from Scranton, going on about the dude that killed his mother not being very attractive and "also, Kevin."

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Oh shit, I forgot about that. That was a great line.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bad news: Ratings were down 6 percent from last season's premier.
    Good news: That's the smallest ratings drop of all of Thursday's premiers.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2008/09/greys-ratings.html

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I missed it last night, but NBC.com puts the episodes on their website after they air, correct?

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'll be a dissenting voice. That episode last night was crap.

The British writer was correct when he said David Brent was a far better character than Michael Scott (especially as he's gotten to be less of an ass), though I don't agree the US Office itself was total shite from day one. (To sound British.) But last season was dull, and this season looks like it's going to be worse. With the three zillion interpersonal storylines, it's more of a friggin' soap opera than General Hospital.

The problem might be something that the Brit pointed out. The UK Office was 12 episodes, plus a Christmas special. That's it. It didn't run long enough to get stale. The US Office is getting to be like a real workplace -- after a while, no surprises.

My Name Is Earl. Now there's a show that has done storylines, shaken things up and never failed to bring the funny. Must be because it's thetan-free.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Agree to completely and utterly disagree?

Draft saved Draft deleted