1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Office, season 5 premiere

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Giggity, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Re: The Office, season 5 premier

kind of liberating, isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't hate it. That's for damn sure. Wonder if that would fly on network TV. [/sillycrossthread].

Heyyy. that's my first [yadayada] thing, too. Damn, this is fun.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god bless you, ryan sonner. god bless you.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

To each his own. I just think the level of subtlety in the original really sets it apart -- in the U.S. version, they club you over the head with it more, which takes away from it for me. There are so many tiny moments in the British version.

The main thing is that, as good as Carrell is, Gervais created a character that can't be matched. Ever. Someone (maybe even on this thread) wrote that the difference is that everyone has known someone kind of like David Brent, but nobody knows anyone like Michael Scott. He's just too over the top.

The British version also gets credit because they invented it. The characters, the format -- the person who created it always gets to be the coolest.

And again, I reiterate that I really like the U.S. version. I thought, because Gervais was so fucking good, that the new version would be a complete disaster, and was pleasantly surprised. It's a really good show, and they've pulled off something incredibly difficult.

Just out of curiosity, Ryan, have you seen the whole original run, or just an episode or two?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

look out, ryan. he's for hire.

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Holy crap, what a great episode.

Three highlights:

1) "We done good, half-pint."
    2) Ryan looking incredibly uncomfortable as the camera pans to Kelly and Darryl making out.
    3) Creed.

A knockout first episode; roughly 1,000,000x better than last season's premiere.

Great show.

7. ArnoldBabar

I should just keep this sentence handy in a file somewhere so I don't have to type it out all the time: Petty, what the fuck is that even supposed to mean?

8. JackReacher

I've seen a few epiosdes. That's all I could handle. Hated it. Honestly, when I first started watching The Office, I had just heard that there was a British version. No idea what it was about or anything. So while the British created it, Scranton popped my cherry. Basically, I enjoy the Scranton version as much as you enjoy the original.

What I hate is how some people immediately dismiss the Scranton version just because they love the British version so much. That's just dumb. And I know, you're not like that. I'm just sayin'.

9. JackReacher

Yes, I'm curious as well.

10. Re: The Office, season 5 premier

The US version isn't anywhere as near as good as the UK version. Watching the UK version, years before the US even came about, was an absolute revelation.

I don't know if it says more about British or American comedy that the US version isn't anywhere near as good as the UK version, but that the US version might just be the best show on TV right now. I think 30 Rock is funnier, but the US Office is the better show.

11. ArnoldBabar

As opposed to someone who would dismiss the British version just because they love the U.S. version so much. ;)

12. JackReacher

The difference is that I've watched both versions. I know a few people who won't even watch the Scranton version simply because they think the British version can't be topped.

Draft saved Draft deleted