1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Office running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Oct 16, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Re: The Office 10/16

And Earl and Lost.

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Nothing makes me laugh out loud more than It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

I used look forward to watching the Office (especially Season 2). Now, it's just another show. This season's first episode was awesome. I already like this season more than last season.

3. NDub

NDub Guest

I just watched the show online. Another hit. I laughed out loud 4-5 times this episode.

Loved Michael's line to Holly when she asked if he was ok just before the baby shower in the meeting room.

His response, "I'm fine, HR weirdo. Try not to suck all the air out of the room."

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Agreed. My wife laughs a lot at that show, too, and I never would have guessed she'd like it.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Best show on TV.

My rankings:

1. Charlie Goes America All Over Everybody's Ass
    2. Mac Is A Serial Killer
    3. The Gang Finds A Dumpster Baby
    4. Charlie Got Molested
    5. (tie) The Gang Runs for Office; The Gang Exploits A Miracle

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No mention of Jim, talking on the phone, glancing over to see Creed in the reception area with his sock off, wrapping his foot?

7. Magnum

Magnum Member

I watch Earl. Never got into 30Rock or Lost.

8. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Just got into Lost this year. Now I'm hooked. plus, now's the perfect time with the series coming to an end with most episodes on dvd.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

In bullet points:

1. I thought the opening sequence was too over the top. Didn't laugh once, until Dwight revealed that he had covered the watermelon in butter.

2. Overall, though, I really liked this episode. I think one of my favorite things about The Office is that it doesn't have to be laugh-out-loud funny for me to enjoy the show. It has moments of truth, moments that are creepy, and moments that are awkward and uncomfortable, and I still feel like all of that fits in with its overall goal. People who want it to be Seinfeld are often going to be disappointed.

3. Really liked the moment between Michael and Holly, especially Amy Ryan's little smile and teary "yes" at the end. It's weird, because this episode wasn't laugh-out-loud funny, but it had a lot of really cool moments, like when Michael was talking about holding a baby and they had all the shots of him lifting up stranger's babies. Dwight is so cartoonish, and the stuff where he's destroying Jan's baby stroller was pretty meh, but I do love it when there are little hints of Michael's human side. It makes all the other cartoonish stuff he does ok. I even really liked it when holding "Assturd" make him finally realize how much Jan sucked.

4. Loved Stanley's talking head, especially the part about how "I have varicose veins. My nipples get sore too." Loved how Micheal interrupted Phyllis' talking head to make her pump up the balloon faster.

5. Normally the Creed love fest around here goes, in my opinion, a little overboard, but "The tide at Omaha beach" was the funniest line of the episode, and the wrapping his foot in The Office while Jim was trying to talk to Pam was perfect.

6. I still contend that the writers are embracing the challenge of having Jim and Pam stay together and still finding comedy in that. The ending bit with them truly in sync, while at the same time feeling bummed that they've been out of sync, was (screw it, I'll say it) adorable.

7. I always pay attention to who wrote which episode (just something I do as a writer) and I thought it was interesting that the last two eps have been written by first-timers (Ryan Koh, Aaron Shure). It's clear that they're cycling in a few more writers, which I think is good just to keep the show fresh.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Two funny moments that no one has mentioned yet:

MICHAEL (TO THE BABY): "This is your family. You're going to know them for the rest of your life. Well, he may not be here (points to Creed)."

and

"Lion King!"

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

That's my favorite too! Love that title. Serial Killer and Got Molested are 2-3 for me.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dumpster baby just makes me laugh my ass off every time. Just the sheer exploitation alone. Awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted