1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Office - 2/8 SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Michael was a bit overdone tonight. Too cringing. But Dwight was great. And Hoops is right, the Creed part was hyyyyyy-fucking-sterical.

And I loved how the Jim and Pam thing went. Loved loved loved it. I do not, in any way shape or form, want to see them together this year. Or maybe even next year. But the Karen character has gotten weird lately, and tonight, the only time we saw her was singing that song? Nooooooooo. Come on Office!!

And I still think Ryan was funny as shit haha.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You must have gone for a few snack and bathroom breaks if that was the only time you saw her.

3. Flying Headbutt

Well, and they danced and walking in with the toasters. But she was low key.

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'm a little worried about the show after tonight's episode. There's a thin line between Michael being uncomfortably funny and being unbelievable. They crossed the unbelievable line way too often tonight.

We all know a person who does incredibly idiotic things because of their desire to fit in. That's who the Michael Scott character should be. What was on display tonight was a guy none of us know. I'm sorry, I love the show and I love Steve Carrell's work on it, but that was just too much tonight. I really hope it doesn't start a downward trend in that direction. There are plenty of laughs to be found among that cast. There's absolutely no need to go over the top in an effort to get cheap smiles and completely disregard the entire premise of this show.

5. Flying Headbutt

They're usually good about pulling Michael's character back just a bit when they need to. I'm surprised Jan wasn't around though. Still curious whats up with her.

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Precisely my point. Ricky Gervais was subtle and sympathetic as the asshole boss. Carrell is too often too far over the top to be believed. He is the show's only weak link.

7. Smasher_Sloan

She was on the phone for his confession about getting 10 seconds worth of a lap dance from a mostly-clothed stripper.

He was worried about what his girlfriend would think about that instead of worrying about telling his boss that he authorized a bachelor party on company time in the building.

I'm starting to think you blacked out for portions of the show.

8. Smasher_Sloan

It's not the UK show, never has been. If you start catering to the audience that wants that, you might as well put the show on Versus with the NHL All-Star game for all the viewers it will draw.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

No, but the premise of the show has always been that this is a documentary of an average office. Certainly, character traits and flaws are magnified for comedy, but you can't completely disregard the premise when doing that. And that's what they did with Michael tonight.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Shows evolve. When Seinfeld started, Jason Alexander was playing George Costanza as a Woody Allen type.

There will probably be less and less of the documentary thing as the characters evolve on The Office.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm the King of the World.

12. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

Smasher, that was in last week's show.

Draft saved Draft deleted