1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Office -- 11/8

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Nov 8, 2007.

1. I heard Michael say that. I didn't know that it was real!

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

agreed. heros lost me as an avid fan this season.

3. Dedo

Dedo Member

It won't go down as one of the series' most beloved episodes, but this was a great example of the thought that goes into this show, and how the writers seldom take the easy, sitcommish way out.

The obvious storyline last night would have been for Jim to rally the staff behind him and become the epitome of a boss everyone wants to work for. But that's not the way these things work. In the real world, good guys don't always make good bosses.

As OTR said, as over-the-top as Michael's ineptitude and ignorance can be at times, I always enjoy the scenes that make you understand why a guy like that could've been put in charge of an office to begin with. A season or two ago, one of his sales calls with Dwight proved that both of those guys can be pretty good at getting people to buy paper. And despite the way he makes it look most of the time, the last scene last night showed he might know a little bit about how to keep workers satisfied. Or at least happy to get their own cake.

4. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I was really disappointed in the episode, but the exchange between Michael and Jim at the end completely rescued it for me.

5. It was one of the show's all-time best moments. That and Creed skipping around like a kid. Priceless.

6. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Creed has really impressed me this season. He's added a lot.

7. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I'm amazed at the negative responses to the episode. Boy, is my finger not on the pulse of America, to quote Bill Hicks.

I thought it was one of the strongest efforts of the season. I now want my own "Mr. A. Knife" folder in a file cabinet.

ICB, I wish I could agree with you on Creed this season. He's one of my three favorite characters on the show, but he feels forced this year.

For what it's worth, however...Michael's growing hatred of all things Toby is hysterically funny. It just gets worse — and funnier — with every episode.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Worth noting that Steve Carell was the writer for this episode.
    Suddenly that whole not crossing the picket line thing makes a lot more sense.
    I get a little tired of the Michael cartoon character. He has these moments. Remember the gift basket episode? He told the guy that his daughter couldn't have the almonds since she was allergic and the guy got the strangest, how did that guy remember that look. But you don't have to make him a complete buffoon to point out his endearing qualities.
    The Office and Earl I'm rapidly growing tired of.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

maybe if earl went to prison it'd save that show.

oh yeah, no it won't.

10. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Again...damn it. I'm watching all the shows getting skewered.

Michael Rapaport has been a pretty awful addition to the show, but Randy and Joy are solid enough to keep me coming back to My Name Is Earl. Plus, they wouldn't have been able to sustain X amount of episodes on Earl's list alone. The jail angle could be good for a season — predictably paroling him at season's end, then right back to the list.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't know. In a 22-episode season, not everything is going to be comedic gold. There are going to be moments where you have to explore some of the characters, whether it be showing how vulnerable a supposed hard-ass like Dwight can be after a breakup or how woefully underprepared Jim is to be a branch manager. I had more complaints with the last 30 minutes of the fun run episode than this one.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Now I know why I enjoy TV. I don't use the term "plot device." :)

Draft saved Draft deleted