1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Office (10-09-08)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A pretty solid episode (I'll never think of Outback Steakhouse coupons the same way)...

The stopwatch by-play between Jim and Dwight was pretty funny, especially Jim's Battlestar Galactica discussion with Andy when Dwight was just dying to participate.

The first ethics meeting had some goodies, including Oscar's "siesta" and Dwight's "cuckold" comment to Andy.

Also three absolute gems from Michael:

1. "She's my friend, and my strategy is to merge this into a relationship without her really knowing."

2. "I just don't want my employees thinking their jobs depend on performance."

3. "How do you tell somebody that you care about deeply, 'I told you so?'"

And is this the first episode ever where Pam never appeared on camera?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Eh ... felt like it was a pretty weak effort, with not a lot of laughs. I don't know. Maybe I expect too much from this show. But we've seen Jim fucking with Dwight before ... and Michael being a bumbling fool around a woman ... and Meredith oddly being a slut.

I did laugh like hell at the cuckhold comment, though.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

4. That was funny.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I remember when Jerry had a cleanliness fetish, Elaine was dating the wrong men, George was being cheap and Kramer was dreaming up crazy money-making schemes. Saw that regularly, too. That's what sitcoms do, establish behavior patters for the characters and then come up with storylines.

Nothing odd about Meredith being a slut. That's been established before.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Creed not knowing peoples names...
    I just started watching the episode online: "The tall guy just got engaged."

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

A few funny moments, but overall I thought the episode was mediocre. I missed Pam being in the episode. She's good eye candy and usually good for a few good laughs. I think this episode was about building the plot for the rest of the season. Michael and Holly having some problems, Jim and Pam vs. Andy and Angela's wedding, and Dwight saying he was unethical.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Andy getting upset like Jim is stilling his thunder.

But yes, the Battlestar Galactica conversation, and the cuckold comment were gold.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This was a little bit of a shitty episode.

Best lines:

Michael- I thought you guys were already engaged.
    Dwight- You are being cuckholded by a stronger man - or something like that.
    Angela- I reported Oscar to the INS once, he came back clean. I'm glad I did though.

Meredith/Creed/Stanley/Kevin- I still don't understand what the coupons were for.

Kevin- Maybe it was like a tip.
    Stanley- I don't care just keep the ribs coming (high fives Phylis)

that's the most enthusiasm I've seen out of Stanley since free pretzel day.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Oh yeah almost forgot.

-LETS GET ETHICAL, ETHICAL, I want to get ETHICAL.

Still, not as good as the Simpsons episode where Homer is watching the Super Bowl halftime show and Lets Get Physical is playing and Mr. and Mrs. Pac Man are dancing on the 50-yard line.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I thought it was a very good episode.

The Jim/stopwatch was fantastic.

Dwight drinking soda while typing? Come on. That's gold.

Plus, I like the episodes where they show some decent qualities or the ability of actually being a good boss (if only for a fleeting moment) in Michael.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Kevin with the exploding fist bump. Loved it.

Draft saved Draft deleted