1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Office 1/11 SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Jan 11, 2007.

1. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

His over-the-top act was good at first ... but now it's just getting old.

2. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Dwight rocking out in the car before the sale was absolutely awesome.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

For some reason Rashida Jones kinda did it for me with her "makeover". You know, in a really weird way that I can't quite put my finger on. Jim is a lucky, lucky man.

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Hands down one of the best episodes.

When Dwight pulls out the "That's what she said," I loved Michael's retort. Under his breath, and with as serious a face as he could muster, he says "Don't you dare." Great stuff.

As for someone who loves the British version and just watched all the episodes (Thanks, Mrs. CI, for the Christmas gift!), the American version adds so many more layers and depth than the UK, which basically has just 5-6 characters.

Same show, but different.

5. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

Everyone has touched on all the great things about this episode, but here's a couple more I liked:

*Dwight hugging Jim on his way out. Awesome stuff. It showed that deep down, Dwight may want to be more like Jim than he thinks and despite all the pranks Jim pulls on him, there's some sort of mutual respect there (and I thought they illustrated that great during their sales pitch together).

*Jim's looks to the camera are so spot-on. When Michael called he and Dwight the gay couple from the Amazing Race and after he slaps Dwight in the face. If you don't remember those two looks he flashed to the camera, go back and check it out.

*Angela. From her asking Pam out for coffee to her evil look at Helms' character. She's always just been the stuffy one. Can't wait to see more depth to her character. Hopefully this was just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm really looking forward to seeing "despondent Dwight." I can only imagine where they're taking his character now because that job defined him. Without it, I can only imagine what he'll be like.

Also, I just bought Season 1 on DVD (I know, what the hell was I waiting for) and I watched the deleted scenes/commentaries. Great stuff. Unlike most "deleted scenes" which are cut because they're just filler, these scenes were obviously cut due to time restraints as most of them are laugh-out-loud funny! If you haven't watched them yet, make some time because it's worth it.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

SPOILER ALERT (as Michael would say)

I saw on another board where somebody had snapped a picture at a local Staples. They were shooting there and Dwight was working in a sales clerk uniform.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Many, many laugh-out loud moments for me ... one that hasn't been mentioned was the picture Jim showed of he and Dwight in their early days.

Also, got to love Stanley showing off a rare smile. He knew he was going to enjoy that sales call.

Oh, and Ryan: "I was his second choice. Behind pass."

One more: When Jim calls the customer service line and it's Kelli, who just keeps talking and talking and Jim hangs up on her. Beautiful.

A top-notch episode.

8. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I think the reason the Ed Helms character is drawing criticism and is getting old is because genuinely, deep down, he's not likable. But as this show has shown this season, while their quips are all different (some more annoying than others) you do genuinely like each character.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I think they haven't developed the Ed Helms character because he isn't meant to be a long-term character. My guess is that he is only going to be on for this season and he is just intended to be Dwight's foil. I agree that if he were a permanent cast member, he would get old pretty quickly, but I can stand him for one season.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ah, you had to have Ed Helms about now to play off Dwight. He's the new super-villain now that Dwight has shown more layers. Helms was necessary. I'm waiting with delight for him to get what's coming to him.

11. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

Yeah, i hear you guys about helms. that's a good way to look at.

12. greenthumb

greenthumb Member

Thank god for DVR. I ran Jim slapping Dwight back about six times before me and the Mrs. watched the rest of the episode. One of the great moments in a show full of them.

And Ryan messing up the pitch was priceless. 'Hi. Hi. Hi. Hi.' Stanley laughing at him was almost as funny. No Kevin in this ep, though. He's become my favorite secondary character.

Oh, and thanks to my family for buying me Seasons 1 and 2 for Christmas so I could catch up. Second what someone said about the deleted scenes. Pure funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted