1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The oddest guilty feeling

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Mar 22, 2007.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I am covering a spring training game right now (true, I'm not actually covering the game, because it's spring training, but bear with me). Anyway, I've just been sitting here watching the game for the most part, and I feel guilty about it. Normally I'm almost always sitting here during a game writing notes or transcribing or working on a feature for down the road or something. I could be doing some of that stuff now, but I really just feel like watching some baseball.

Has anyone else ever felt guilty for just watching a game you're covering, as if it's not an efficient use of your time?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The day I don't take at least 5-10 minutes during a game to enjoy the atmosphere is the day I stop covering games. Spending, say, the first through ninth innings enjoying the atmosphere, that may be different.

3. Enjoy it when you can. Personally, I love to pretend I'm a regular guy every now and then and pay admission to a minor league baseball game or some college football. It's nice to just sit back, relax and enjoy the game. It reminds me why I do this for a living.

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Just don't crack a beer if you're technically on the clock. :)

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

what else are you feeling guilty about?

did you mother nurse you or were you bottle-fed?

6. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Bob, I know exactly what you're saying. I try and go to as many sporting events as I can where I'm not watching the clock and worrying about a deadline.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Bobcat, office on LINE 1:

"You're fired."

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Make sure you scope out broads, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted