1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Obesity Rate for Children Has Not Plummeted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

People misunderstand this stuff a lot. Frequently, it leads to them overestimating risk.

For example, my wife keeps up with a million different organic food and cancer prevention-type blogs and news feeds. She'll read something like, "People who eat cilantro in their rice were shown in one study to have a 3 percent greater cancer risk."

Of course, it'll be one study in 1,000 on that topic and the only one that showed this connection. And the 3 percent greater risk will increase the risk from 6 people per 1,000,000 to like 8 people per 1,000,000,000. But from then on, cilantro will disappear from the shelves at Whole Foods - and our refrigerator.

I am joking about cilantro, but I think if you Google Vitamin D and cancer, you'll see a bunch of freak-outs about some outlier study.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm doing a piece right now on effect size and publication bias (the idea that scientists publish "significant" results and file-drawer non-significant ones). Especially in the social sciences, effect sizes can be very, very small. What I've read re: organic/natural food is that the same is likely true.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think Alma could be right about one thing. ... how the story ended up getting written. I don't know what the process was either, but I would guess one of two things probably happened. Either the reporter is pretty good on that beat and stays in touch with that researcher who pitched the story that ended up running -- i.e. -- obesity is dropping in 2 to 5 year olds and that is good, because that is when eating habits are learned.

Otherwise, the reporter somehow took that abstract / article and dug that fact out to write the story the reporter wanted. If it is the latter, it is really odd. I am thinking it was more like the researcher coming at the reporter with that specific angle. Maybe it was a nugget from the data that the researcher finds encouraging... and the reporter adding the link to the abstract, which doesn't focus on that, makes it seem odd / misleading.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That'd depend on how you measured the "development of a lifetime risk," I'd guess, along with mortality rates for various types of it, which I don't know.

5. doctorquant

If he didn't argue the same thing, it's probably true that a reasonable inference could be drawn from his work to support such an argument. Nevertheless, I am not arguing that that happens in my piece. Rather, I am accepting it as a given and pointing to approaches to quantify -- perhaps underscore might be a better word -- just how small effect sizes can be.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

doc, with all this numbers knowledge you need to do something useful with your life like get over to the strikeouts thread. :)

7. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

The government in charge will spin results any way they want to support its policies.

8. doctorquant

Well, there's also the effect on the career of him/her who's doing the publishing.

Draft saved Draft deleted