1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Oakland A's have solid (waste) proof UPDATE: It happened again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jun 17, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://blog.sfgate.com/athletics/2013/06/16/raw-sewage-on-clubhouse-level-creates-postgame-chaos/

I know it was on the running thread, but this is nasty enough to stand on its own. The A's and Mariners had to share showers Sunday because of some plumbing problems. The problems, specifically, were the pipes getting backed up from three days of (relatively) large crowds. Players walked up and down the stairs in their towels and shower shoes.

Lots of writing about it, but this initial Tweet from SF Chronicle's Susan Slusser is the best description:

Susan Slusser ‏@susanslusser 16h
    It's raw sewage coming up from the shower drains by the way. I'm told some hideous details I don't want to share. New building, please.

Meanwhile, Bud Selig's Blue Ribbon Panel is in its FIFTH YEAR of evaluating the A's stadium situation and whether they can build a new one in San Jose.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: The Oakland A's have solid (waste) proof that their stadium stinks

If they ever get a new stadium, I would bet serious money that it's not in Oakland, unless they rebuild on the same exact spot, and why would anyone want to do that?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Coming up on the 50th year of the Coliseum next year. The odd thing is, it really is situated in an ideal location for access from anywhere in the Bay Area. Public transit, great freeway access. I realize everyone wants to situate stadiums in places for maximum real estate gain, but they could do far worse than just rebuilding on the site.
    Moving to San Jose won't suddenly get the A's 40,000 a night and anyone who thinks so is kidding themselves.

4. Mizzougrad96

The A's could have a team similar to the one they had in the late 1980s and they wouldn't draw 40,000 a night.

Agree on the freeway access and BART is right there, but that area is just a shithole.

I'll be very curious what, if anything happens. I don't think there are a ton of good options.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So they really are under 50 feet of shit.

6. LongTimeListener

Well, they aren't looking for 40,000 a night. Their plans have always been to build for 33,000 although I suppose they could go up. And it will be heavily tailored to corporate money, of which there is a ton.

But they would sell out in a heartbeat. They could probably PSL just about the whole thing for first 15 years and get it.

The big problem is that Oakland changed -- the whole city core just up and left. When Gertrude Stein wrote "there's no there there," there was a lot more there there, then.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

True. I just think the Sharks have sewn up most of the South Bay market. The A's will be seen as the poor cousin again. I'm surprised nothing got done with the closing of the military bases near the estuary.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Oakland will support a team if the team actually got a real stadium and the team actually marketed the team.

In the late 80's, early 90's, during the Bash Brothers era, the A's were one of the greatest draws in the MLB; on Sundays they'd draw nearly 50,000 and it was hard to get a ticket, I know I tried many times. It was a beautiful setting. Then Mount Davis rose up and its never been the same. I recall coming in and watching construction beyond the centerfield fence while the game was ongoing. Final straw, when you want to see the score boards for some replay or something, you've got to look towards either left field or right field, why? Because those are the end zones for football. Ridiculous.

Its not about the location, there is great access, no real threat of crime, secure, and with BART station next door.

9. LongTimeListener

I don't know if the Sharks have it sewn up. They are certainly popular, but I'd say they have more reason to worry about competition than the A's do.

The thing about the geography is that even if the A's move to San Jose, it's still easier for a lot of the fans in the East Bay -- anything Oakland and south, at least -- to get there than it would be for them to get to AT&T Park (which is not in a part of SF that has good BART access). Plus it puts in play Monterey and Santa Cruz counties, which are pretty far jaunts to SF for a regular weekday or even weekend trip. That's about a million more potential customers.

But it's all moot until they can work something out with the Giants, and it's pretty clear the Giants' first choice is for the A's to move out of the market and their second choice is for the A's to die.

10. Mizzougrad96

I wonder how close they could build a stadium to any of the Internet companies that are in the area. They could get a shitload in naming rights, but it is the A's and not the Giants. How much did the 49ers get for naming rights?

11. Mizzougrad96

It's been awhile since I've been to a Sharks game, but holy shit was that location awesome...

I think the best option would be to look at San Jose or Santa Clara... I doubt there is enough corporate money to move to Sacramento. That was a popular rumor a long time ago, but I don't think that would ever happen now.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Question and sidebar story:
    Question: Why do the Giants care about the A's at all since every game sells out at AT&T with some of the highest ticket prices in the sports?
    Sidebar: When Nolan Ryan left the Angels and and finally made his way to the Rangers, on his first visit back to Anaheim (1989 I believe) they held a news conference in the third locker room at the Big A. Very informal gathering with raw sewage backing up from the shower room.

Draft saved Draft deleted