1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The O.C., R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jan 3, 2007.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I don't have a problem with 24 or House. I taped Prison Break a couple of times; if I want to see that much violence I'll stick with The Shield, which has characters that intrigue me.

American Idol is OK with me, except when the network starts milking every drop out of the audition shows. I want to know more about the potential winners. I don't give a shit about the ftards who failed.

But there's a vast, vast wasteland of shows FOX has thrown against the wall to see if they would stick.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Tell me how that makes FOX any different from any other network.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

FOX programs fewer hours and has developed nothing like a "60 Minutes" with credibility.

And I find myself using the same argument that I do with newspapers: Just because many act like ftards doesn't excuse any one in particular from acting like a ftard.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm not saying FOX should be excused, I'm just saying they're far from the only offenders out there in La-La Land.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

And I find myself using the same argument that I do with newspapers: Just because many act like ftards doesn't excuse any one in particular from acting like a ftard.

I think the cut-and-paste function is going to get a lot of use here in 2007.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

The fact that Fox has done so well in finding quality shows like the ones I mentioned despite its limited programming slots seems more impressive to me. All the other networks have the opportunity to test out five more shows per season than Fox to see what sticks.

Yes, Fox has rolled out some crazy-ass reality shows, but let's be fair here. Reality shows are cheap and many of them draw a decent audience. Who's gonna turn down free money?

Also, you bring up another point with "The Shield." Many of the shows on FX were originally pitched to Fox, which turned them down because they fit better on cable because of the violence and language. You toss "Rescue Me," "The Shield," "Nip/Tuck" and "Dirt" (which is a damned good show) and the boys at Fox are well above the pack.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Are you talking about a franchise news show? Because let's face it: Fox could not create a franchise news show. Not with the far-right Fox News Channel shredding any semblance of objectivity.

If you're talking about a franchise SHOW, regardless of genre, "The Simpsons" is it. It defines Fox. For as much shit as Fox has thrown on the air, it's created the most lasting and influential show of the last 20 years.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

No, just something like 60 Minutes. I'd even be willing to concede on The Simpsons, except that it's been terrible for years.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry dude but I think you have to concede on The Simpsons, even if it has sucked for years (I think it's been good but not great for many years now). Those first few seasons are brilliant. It's one of the handful of great TV shows of all-time. And it's got a real shot to end up as the longest-running scripted program in TV history.

And again, Fox has programmed some unforgivable shit. But it also helped re-define the hour-long show with Ally McBeal and made serial programming hot again with 24 and Prison Break. It was the first network to run shows consecutively, like 24 and Prison Break, instead of killing the momentum with reruns for weeks at a time during non-sweeps months. And while it got shitcanned after a few weeks, I bet without Action, there's no Entourage.

And as much as I hate it, American Idol is "The Simpsons" of non-scripted programming. Never before has a network relied so heavily on one single program.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Hey, whatever allows you to save time in your unending quest for supreme troll glory.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I see your point, but I don't think I can concede on an animated show.

The legendary shows are the ones that write, cast and develop characters.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I dunno, over 15-plus years, I think the Simpsons have become pretty well-defined. Monty Burns is the epitome of the evil boss. Homer is the epitome of the well-intentioned if pretty inept father. The Simpsons are the epitome of the suburban American family--not perfect, but loving and close-knit.

It gets harder and harder every year to come up with a legendary live-action show. How long would Cheers and Seinfeld last these days? Six weeks? Dopes in programming just want to save their ass for 13 more weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted