1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "o-bitch-uary" "trend"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Also, all of Franklin's friends are called by what they are (Bear, Snail etc.) except for him who has a name.

From the few I've seen, I like Super-Readers.

Again, back to the original thread. I think I remember when Phil Rizzuto died that Wally Matthews (Newsday at the time) wrote a "yeah, but he was a crappy announcer" column. I might be mis-remembering though & mixing him up with Rob Parker, in which case I apologize.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, you have to think like a kid. Malcolm Gladwell wrote about it in one of his books, as well. Kids like repetition. So these shows like "Dora" have very repetitive storylines where they tweak some minor components each time, and apparently kids go nuts for it. Another example of repetitiveness: "Blue's Clues" shows the same episode every day for a week, or at least it does in first run, I believe.

Ours doesn't watch much TV, but he flips out over "Wonder Pets" and "Team UmiZoomi." The catchy songs might be the hook, honestly. He's always walking around singing them word-for-word.

3. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I'm just waiting on pins and needles for my daughter to get sick of Caillou. That and Little Einsteins. I'm picturing a Teen Einsteins where June is throwing all the parties with expensive drugs, Annie is a freshman banging the lacrosse team and Quincy's in a band bagging groupies. Meanwhile poor Leo is stuck in the past desperately and fruitlessly trying to get them to go on adventures.

Also still waiting for the extra special episode of Caillou (abbreviated in the Sprout On Demand listings as Supersexe/Bounced/Care) where he and Rosie spend the weekend with Grandpa, who takes them to St. Catherine's Street to watch him get lapdances and then drags them to Peel's Pub, where he gets shithoused and beaten up by bouncers. After the break with the animal puppets, Caillou and Rosie are taken in by the provincial authorities until Mommy and Daddy work it out.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Caillou, Barney and the Wiggles are the unholy trinity of kids' TV.

On the other hand, "too much birthday" is still our family's shorthand for cranky exhaustion brought on by too much fun.

RIP, Ms. Berenstain.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How can you not like Little Einsteins? Anything that works art and classical music into a kids show is fine with me.

Lil 93s viewing routine...

Little Einsteins
    Super Why
    Dora
    Diego
    Backyardigans
    Wonder Pets
    Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
    Team Umizoomi (We are a tiny team!)
    Blues Clues

And she knows all the Fresh Beat songs it seems.

She has left Sesame Street in the dust.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh, MMC ... ugh.

I had "Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog" stuck in my head for a week after one viewing. It was back to Angelina Ballerina after that.

7. dieditor

dieditor Member

If you're like me, once you get the theme to the Backyardigans stuck in your head, you'll pray for death but death won't come.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Some of their adult cartoons in the 50s and early 60s were pretty racy . . . no two ways about it.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Damn you Inky ...

Props also for Between the Lions and Big Comfy Couch.

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Einsteins is better than most for the reasons you describe - I just dont like hearing it. And I like classical music.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, Bugs Bunny introduced most Americans to opera. Whoever said he wasn't educational can suck it.

12. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Seriously - there Are better ways to expose kids to classical music and art.

Draft saved Draft deleted