1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "o-bitch-uary" "trend"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 28, 2012.

1. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

When my daughter was about 18 months old, I went up to visit my family and my Mom agreed to watch her for the night at my sister's house so we could go get a nice dinner. We had a bag of DVDs for her to watch, but my Mom couldn't figure out how to get my sister's DVD player to open. So she watched the same Caillou DVD for four hours.

We got home and my Mom muttered something through her teeth about being stuck watching "that little bald-headed bastard" all night. Fortunately, my daughter had a full head of hair, so she wasn't talking about her.

The parents on Calliou are named Boris and Doris. I know WAY too much about that show. We were watching so much of it at one point that my wife and I had developed a rich backstory replete with cheating, broken dreams and various other intrigue. That, and making fun of Calliou's fat best friend.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Tell me that Chinese girl won't grow up to be a stone hottie.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My kids used to love Thomas as well. Some of the episodes weren't as bad.

What weirded me out is when they'd play the little annoying song in between episodes, and they'd show the different trains with their names, and then their eyes would shift. For a little kid, I'd think that might be a little freaky.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

To reference Drew Magary for the second time on this thread, he actually mentioned Thomas yesterday in his mailbag:

As a father of a child who is currently obsessed with one of the later Thomas movies, I think the new animation is even creepier. And that Percy is always fucking shit up for all the other trains.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We're big on Curious George in the morning -- my 3 year old loves the show and looks like him a little (same shaped face, same big smile). Not quite sure about the Man with the Yellow Hat -- something tells me he had to inform his nieghbors when he moved into their apartment building. After that is done, we shift over to Sesame Street before breakfast.

My 6 year old now wants to watch the top 10 plays on Sportscenter and the morning news. I think she is just kissing up to me. But she's now in the iCarly, Victorious and Big Time Rush stage.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I gave Thomas a solid chance one afternoon. I don't think it's as much that a train has a face (or a grim job) as it is the vacant expression and fake, icy smile. That is the smile and saucer eyes of Dr. Lecter, above, when he first meets Clarice.

7. prhack

prhack Member

For the life of me, I don't understand why Sir Top'em Hat never seems to comprehend that most of the havoc wreaked on the island is caused by the troublesome trucks. Come on man, stand up for your steamies!

Yeah ... I've watched a few episodes.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The New Yorker recently had a piece on how good children's television has gotten over the last few years. It mentioned "Dora," "The Wonder Pets," and a couple other examples.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Anyway, regarding the original question, I guess everyone has their own line.

Some people I know believe everyone deserves an RIP. I think you have to be a pretty despicable person not to deserve an RIP. And some people believe it's more important to be honest than to be sensitive.

I understand all three stances.

I thought Joe Paterno deserved an RIP. I won't give one to Jerry Sandusky. Whitney Houston didn't do anything to others that I would think disqualifies her from an RIP. And an elderly lady who wrote children's books ... I sure think she can get a good, healthy RIP.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Callou is a whiner. Grates on my last nerve.

The odd thing about BB was others outside the family calling them Brother or Sister. Which makes me think those are their given names.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dora was good? Don't get me wrong, I've watched my fair share and I don't find it nearly as grating as other people do (on this board and elsewhere), but I see nothing in there that represents an upgrade over the bygone years of children's TV.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's educational - with the Spanish - and interactive - "Say backpack!"

As great as Bugs Bunny was/is he didn't provide much of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted