1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "o-bitch-uary" "trend"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As "that guy" on the Whitney Houston thread (sans snark), leading to some all-time SportsJournalists.com throwdowns, I feel obligated to post this Slate column on snarky, contrarian obits:

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/roiphe/2012/02/jan_berenstain_dies_we_attack_her_.html

I understand the siren call of the contrarian position, the irrepressible desire to say the thing other people are too decent or cautious or conventional or polite to say, and yet I wonder if the right time to say that thing about someone is hours after you hear they have died. I wonder if the absolute opportune moment to attack a writer, say, is as their family plans a funeral, as their children experience that feeling Freud describes as being “torn up by the roots.”

Just yesterday, Slate’s Hanna Rosin, my own beloved editor, wrote: “The world today brings news that Jan Berenstain, co-author with her husband Stan, of the 45 years and running Berenstain Bears series for children, has passed on to a better world. As any right thinking mother will agree, good riddance.”

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Re: The "o-bitch-uary" trend

I think such comments say more about the commenter than the recently departed.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Amen, Dan.

Is there some groundswell of hate for the Berenstain Bears that I don't know about, or is this writer just a master of the clever Web form of hating everything at all times? My kids always rather enjoyed the books.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Surprised me, too.

I think it's one thing to deliver an unvarnished assessment of someone's legacy - Paterno, for example. Or, yes, Whitney Houston.

But it sounds like celebrity and quasi-celebrity deaths are becoming just the latest canvas for the snark patrol to strut their stuff upon.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yes, the Magary, bro reader, GRRRRRR!!!!, even the purest things on the planet suck (because I said so) school of essay writing.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Didn't read it, and an obit is not the place for such a point, but I don't like my kids reading them (we have a few, but there is so much else out there). Not much positive in them (like Franklin for example) and too often the key plot-line is that the Dad is a moron.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is that why my wife is such a fan?

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I loved the books as a kid. Don't know how involved she was with the PBS series, but that was ham-handed overmoralizing dreck.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Rosin is married to Slate editor David Plotz.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sadly, idiotic snarky obits get read for being idiotic and snarky, while the professsional non-editorials just get read.

Loved the Bears. Shame on anyone who would say 'good riddance' about an 88-yr-old lady who dedicated her life to writing for children. Disgusting.

But to call it a 'trend' is seems an absurd generalization.

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Michael Cera played the voice of Brother Bear for a few seasons. That's all I've got.

Well, that, and a general concern that any family that refuses to call each other by given names but instead relies on calling themselves "Daddy Bear," "Momma Bear," "Brother Bear" and "Sister Bear" are somewhat suspicious. Possibly part of some sort of cult. But I could be reading too much into that.

Anyway, RIP Jan Berenstain!

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The Berenstain Bears And The Smartass Writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted