1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT on the trend of "Push Presents"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think they ought to do more trend stories about people scarfing down some Velveeta on Wonder Bread in their trailers before they head off to buy their Sunday best at WalMart. That would speak to the NYT's audience more effectively.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

While I generally enjoy reading the NY Times, this sort of self-referential, narcissistic, bourgeois bullshit is the sort of thing that I find irksome in their editorial choices.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Agree completely...this is really old. And it's a nice idea, made to sound garish and obnoxious. Dopey story.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

This made me laugh really hard and cringe all at the same time... I never knew that was possible.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This story sounds like it was a PR firm hired by the diamond industry doing the "pushing" on this story. Why not implants? Judging by the thread title, I figured it referred to a gym membership or luggage.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

among my circle of friends, this is an old story. in 1990, the first of three shockey boys was born. i did not present a gift to the mrs. i knew nothing about the apparent custom. in fact, i knew nothing of it after the second shockey boy was born in '93. then my wife's sister filled me in that mrs. shockey was a tad, um, miffed.

so after son of shockey no. 3, i bought her a ring with five small diamonds representing our family. whew!

again, methinks this all depends on where you live. apparently in tony communities, it's a common deed. elsewhere, flowers should more than suffice.

and fellas, let's face it, women are worthy. nine months of lugging that thing around losing your figure, etc., are light years beyond hand-holding and ice-chips feeding. ::) ::) ::)

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You have to love the use of faux-feminism to justify abhorrent capitalism.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My mom got something after all three of us, and my grandmother got jewelry after all three of hers. I don't think this is anything new, except to maybe people at the New York Times.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It was in the Thursday Styles section, not exactly the bastion of hard news. And it is a fairly common practice among certain sets in the NYC area.

10. Giggity

Giggity Member

Personally, I'd be all like "Woman, you got your present nine months ago."

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I miss that "Veiled Conceit" blog where the guy used to rip on all of the NYT weddings postings. I wish he wouldn't have stopped posting.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'll admit it, this made me laugh.

Now go fix me a sandwich.

Draft saved Draft deleted