1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT on the trend of "Push Presents"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Dec 7, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

LOL. I'll go to hell for that, but at least I'll be in line behind MM.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Well, if there's an act that deserves a gift, I would say childbirth would be it. Not only does the end result bring a child of yours into this world, the mother has to go through intense agony and pain to make that happen.

Now, I wouldn't be necessarily inclined to go and drop four figures on some major league ice, but I would have no problem parting with some benjamins to get her something nice.

I tell you this, boys. If it were us doing the delivering, there would probably be a tradition that the delivering father goes home in a new Ferrarri with a set of Ping golf clubs in the trunk.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I bought my boss a $10 lottery ticket yesterday, and he scratched off and won $220.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

All right, all right.

So we get a gift.

Can we at least prorate it depending whether its all-natural, epidural or c-section? And maybe factor in the weight of the baby?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The concept of "push presents" was news to my wife, though I informed her the statute of limitations had expired from our child's birth.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, where do you put c-sections? Perhaps not as grueling as all-natural, but they are getting sliced open.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know. How much of the operation is covered by the insurance?

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's one of the top five of the year in ANY classification . . . most certainly in the non-novel/dissertation categories . . . and, yes, I know . . . we're in December . . . OUT-standing.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's gold.
    Gold, Jerry.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If we were doing the delivering, humanity wouldn't have made it past the caveman stage.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

In all the years of this board's existence, as well as its previous iterations for that matter, I don't believe I've ever read a truer statement.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If we were doing the delivering, we'd have the right parts for it, and this would be moot.

Unless we had to give birth out of our weiners. Which sounds like a Jones story in the making.

Draft saved Draft deleted