1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT on the trend of "Push Presents"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Does anyone else think this is one of those stories that wealthy socialite editors at the Times dreams up after conversations with their other wealthy socialite friends? Basically, the gist is that women now expect some sort of gift or present from their husbands (think diamonds) after giving birth. If true, it represents pretty much everything wrong with the world. But it's one of those trend stories where the statistics cited are vague at best, and it kind of writes around them to make you believe this is a sweeping trend. Maybe I just refuse to believe this actually occurs often, or I don't travel in the right circles, but I've never so much as heard of a new mom saying "Whew, labor was tough. Now where is my reward? ... I mean, besides the kid."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/06/fashion/06push.html

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

DD
    I read that yesterday and the Presbyterian side of me came out.

I thought, what a load of self indulgent, self centred, materialistic crap.

Push presents?? WTF?

Why doesn't the guy get a present for his "push"? Or a "system delivery" present?

I'm a regular NYTimes reader but every so often I read something like this and think, "Get your editorial heads out of your asses".

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I gave my ex-wife flowers after she had Little Man, and my mom got me a simple necklace (no diamonds) to give to her as well. But to "expect" it? Meh...

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Flowers? Absolutely.

Diamonds? Oye.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I fed my wife ice chips all through the process. I coulda got frostbite! And no one gave me a diamond necklace.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Ace is on the right track, men need to start fighting back on this shit.

How 'bout jizz presents? I know I worked long and hard (heh, heh) to create our bundles of joy. Chances are I got a leg cramp or my wrist fell asleep while contorted in sweaty pursuit of the miracle of life.

I mean, jizz doesn't make itself. I figure that's worth an 8GB iPod ... minimum.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

So what you're saying is, Mrs. Double Down is going to be mighty disappointed someday?

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And what about abortion presents? They fuck just as hard as the other women!

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, I think it's actually on the down-trend now.

This was something that was a hot topic on The View... like 3 years ago??

Leave it to the Times....

Anyway, I think a lot of people are at the gift tipping point, and gift-giving in general is on the down-swing.

I do think women are in a hurry to feel more like themselves after giving birth. So things like a massage or a mani/pedi are nice things to have after such an experience...

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Every time you masturbate, God gives you a present ???

11. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

A vote for Bubbler for the most disgusting post of the year. Nice job, sir.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'd give her a molly wap to the face.

(And I wonder why I'm single ...)

Draft saved Draft deleted