1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT and The Athletic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 17, 2022.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

None of their 32 NBA experts could be convinced to bother?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The WNBA would be better served to run with the PGA Tour model of trying to get their championship in before football gets into full swing. If it means the start of your season gets lost in the NBA/NHL playoffs in April, so be it. You'd rather have eyes on your best teams at the end, no?

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I can't tell whether there is more interest or it's because ABC/ESPN is throwing on games every five seconds. It's cheap summer programming. And it's accompanied by lots of centerpieces/leads on the ESPN website. None of that is intended as a slam, but I never see a game on in the bar — even when there is no other game going on.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Lisa surfaces at the Orange County Register, covering the Ducks, the second or third most important beat in Sports (Angels, Rams).
    Elliott Teaford went from Ducks to Chargers. Don't know where the Chargers writer went.
    A guy I know who would have been a solid candidate was told by Teaford that they already had an internal candidate for the Ducks beat. Then they went outside for Lisa. It would be hard to beat her resume.

5. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Chargers writer is now covering Rams. The Rams writer is doing something else in sports.

ChrisLong likes this.
  6. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Is that a reference to Kevin Modesti? If so, he is now writing a newsletter for the papers.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Correct, Modesti.

8. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Looks like interest in the WNBA was up in the just-concluded season.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm sure interest is up, but to me it seems like ESPN is pushing the league much more than it had. That factors in somewhere.

10. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Yet they’ll tweet all about it. Virtue-signaling frauds

11. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Civian to Bleacher Report:

12. JoshBarnett

JoshBarnett Member

Draft saved Draft deleted