1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NY Post's Cory Lidle comic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by enigami, Oct 15, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

Unlike, for example, "The Onion," which was 100 percent taste and class after 9/11.

2. busuncle

busuncle Member

Not sure I get the big deal about this. The cartoon shows him entering Heaven, for goodness sake. Upon his arrival, St. Peter makes a lighthearted joke. Not especially clever, but nothing to moan about.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Cartoonist: Hey, I think I'll make a joke about that ballplayer who was just killed. People love that stuff!
    Guys at Post: Hilarious! What's the joke?
    Cartoonist: Oh, maybe something like he's such a lousy pilot, he can't get wings! Hahahahah!
    Guys at Post: Stop! Stop! My sides are hurting! Too funny!!

(If I could draw, that would be my cartoon--all the people would be carrying their brains in jars of vinegar labelled 'A.B. Normal')

4. markvid

markvid Guest

You might be the only one, then.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

6. Toolbox

Toolbox Member

Cartoonist: well you know that Kim Jong Il guy is getting guy, that shit's getting old ... why not pick on a dead guy?
    Editor: BRILLANT!!!

(and I know realize I just turned this into a Guinness commercial)

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Funniest post of the year...

8. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

That's brutal. How many people would have to sign off on that before it hit the street? And nobody said ""Um...wait a minute?" Brutal.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    I probably wouldn't have drawn or run the cartoon. I find it offensive. But I'm not going to tell anyone they can't run it.
    I'm getting a big kick out of the comments on this thread. Like National Lampoon, Saturday Night Live, Jackass or any underground college newspaper never did anything in poor taste. Oh, right...the New York Post is a perceived conservative paper, so it gets ripped for bad taste.
    Some of the sense of humor, or lack thereof on this board, is astounding. Reminds me of two things: a New Yorker-type one-panel cartoon (although this never would have run in the New Yorker) about a guy in a bookstore looking for the humor section. The female clerk is telling him: "This is a feminist bookstore -- we don't have a humor section."
    Then a point raised by P.J. O'Rourke about political correctness, etc. He wrote (and I'm paraphrasing): "Some people would tell you that you probably shouldn't tell Helen Keller jokes. And they might be right. But a liberal will tell you that you CAN'T tell Helen Keller jokes. And they would be wrong."

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i think i'm agreeing with you but i'm not quite sure.

the cartoon is in extremely poor taste and bordering on despicable. i don't find it funny but i can see how some people would get a laugh out of it, the same way you get a laugh out of a movie scene in a black comedy in which peope die gory deaths. i don't agree with that way of seeing it, but i'm sure plent of people will see it that way.

but by no means does it rise to the level of infliction of emotional distress or libel.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If we allowed lawsuits or legislated against poor taste, would a single tabloid be business? Or, Dan LeBetard, for that matter.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would think this cartoon would get blasted even if Mother Jones ran it.

Draft saved Draft deleted