1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NY Post's Cory Lidle comic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by enigami, Oct 15, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

you can sue for poor taste now?

oh shit

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I guess Doyel is fucked then.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

sickening.

4. I've already called my lawyer too.

5. swenk

swenk Member

Actually, you CAN sue for negligent or intentional infliction of emotional distress; you have to show outrageous or negligent conduct that resulted in extreme emotional distress (ie, anxiety, humiliation, grief, fear, shock, indignity, etc).

In this case, though, you have the public figure element, and also the fact that the family is already enduring emotional distress; harder to prove that additional distress was caused by a dopey cartoon.

More than you probably wanted to know, just thought I'd throw that out there.

If anything, maybe St. Peter could sue for copyright infringement or something.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Tasteless and offensive, but should we expect anything less from the Post?

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

They might actually have a case if it can be proved that mechanical problems caused the accident or if the instructor was the one flying the plane.

The cartoon makes it appear that Lidle was solely at fault for what happened.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

There's probably a defense that would get them through the barn door should a case ever be made on those merits -- "hey, we're not saying Lidle's a bad flier, he just has bad luck when he gets airborne."

And for some reason, my gut reaction was that the "Big Guy" was Steinbrenner.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Given this horrible effort, I wonder what the Post did for an editorial cartoon laugh after 9/11.

I sure as hell hope nothing this sick.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am waiting for someone on here to defend the tabloid mentality again...

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

me too

12. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Don't hold your breath on that one. Talk about classless.

Draft saved Draft deleted