1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Numbers Are In, And . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

. . . Our print readership was up 9.1 per cent in 2009 when compared to 2008. Our online readership was up 10 per cent during the same time frame.

No matter how the suits cooked the books, fudged the numbers — if they even did at all — it's good to know we're up.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Super, Pete.

Just because they included dogs, cats and parakeets this year if the paper was placed under the food bowls or lined the birdcage is not reason to make those outlandish cooking-the-books charges.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

good to hear...I assume the budget #s would also be up, in which case the higher ups can finally lift the furloughs and hour-cuts...assuming you are under those conditions as most of us are.

Still waiting for management hear to come in with similar news...almost a year later.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I think we might see a trend where readers come back to their newspapers now that all those reporters and copy editors they couldn't stand have been laid off. ;D

Seriously, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the thinned ranks is seen as a plus by some readers who don't have to worry about plowing through a thicker paper each day. The wire-heavy, local rag is "just right" for them now that the news content has been put on a diet.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Now if we can only get ad revenues to follow...

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Well, if we could, surely management would hire new people and not simply pocket all the profit that having a smaller staff has created ...

Draft saved Draft deleted