1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The No. 1 party school, alma mater of several of us....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Aug 1, 2011.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Ohio University!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43974375/ns/local_news-cleveland_oh/

Party schools
    1. Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
    2. University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.
    3. University of Mississippi, Oxford, Miss.
    4. University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
    5. University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, Calif.
    6. West Virginia University, Morgantown, W. Va.
    7. Penn State University, University Park, Pa.
    8. Florida State University, Tallahassee, Fla.
    9. University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla.
    10. University of Texas, Austin, Texas
    11. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
    12. Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
    13. Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, La.
    14. University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wis.
    15. DePauw University, Greencastle, Ind.
    16. Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind.
    17. Arizona State University, Tempe, Ariz.
    18. University of Maryland, College Park, Md.
    19. University of Vermont, Burlington, Vt.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Since when is Penn State in University Park, PA?

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'm finally headed to one of the top 20!

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia:

"University Park, Pennsylvania is an unincorporated community in Centre County, Pennsylvania, United States, and is the location of the flagship campus of the Pennsylvania State University.

University Park sits within the State College Metropolitan Statistical Area, which encompasses all of Centre County. Most of University Park sits within the borough of State College, while the northeastern part of campus is within College Township."

5. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

I-L-L!

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

LSU at No. 13? Are you kidding me? And Ole Miss must be slipping to fall to No. 3.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

When I was in Athens (Ohio, that is) it always amazed me how much the university distanced itself from the reputation. Hell, it's a marketing tool and they set up task forces to try to smother it. They even stopped selling university logo shot glasses and beer mugs in some bizarre display of morality.

It really is the best place to drink given the variety of bars, the ability to walk to Court Street from campus, the fests and the relative safety of being in a small town. And availability of Burrito Buggy and Miller's Chicken.

Halloween sucks, though. Too many out of towners. I always went home that weekend.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Does this list really matter? Drunken students on every campus in America will claim their school was ranked No. 1. And that "Animal House" was based on a frat on their campus.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My first place for graduate school was on what looked like a calm street near the campus when I looked at it in the summer. Palmer Street proved to be a bit rowdier than I expected with mounted patrols most weekend nights.

I later learned (luckily by reading it in the paper) that, if you slap a police horse, is assault on a law enforcement officer.

I found tales of riots when the time change closed bars an hour early amusing and believeable.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You're probably right, batman. However, I do know for a fact that the Dekes at Ole Miss used to ride motorcycles up the stairs and down the halls at the bunker they called a house. That was way back before they got thrown off campus for good a few years ago, and several years before the movie came out.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

No, but most of the stuff we discuss on this board doesn't matter.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've never heard of Penn State's location referred to as anything but State College.
    I've never heard of University Park, but it's in their visitor's guide.

Draft saved Draft deleted