1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NIT: Ohio State vs. California

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Mar 24, 2008.

1. chester

chester Member

Would love to see Kentucky play a game at Memorial Coliseum again. My dad was a student at UK when Issel was there, and he said that was as good a place to watch a game as there was. He always liked sitting in the balcony in the one end zone (the only balcony, I guess), said it was a great view for the game. Of course, since they've remodeled the place a few times since then, it might not be quite the same.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Maryland at Cole Field House. Or Ritchie Coliseum.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Michigan State at Jenison Fieldhouse.
    Michigan at Crisler Arena.

Wait...

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Iowa in the old Iowa Fieldhouse, but they remodel the place after Lute moved the team into Carver Hawkeye in '83. The balconies are lone gone.

Wisconsin in the old Wisconsin Fieldhouse, Illinois in Huff Gym.

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I don't know if Barnhill Arena can still be used for basketball games. They still use the old gym for volleyball and gymnastics, but kind of make a big deal around the university about it being a "women's only" facility. I don't think they'd ever play a hoops game because it would require them completely redoing the court in order to play hoops there. I know they changed some of the structure of the floor of the arena when they re-did it to accommodate gymnastics, as well.

On a side note, LOL @ Ole Miss fans busting out the "S-E-C!" chant during the NIT.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

At MSU: Jenison Fieldhouse is still standing, but all of the bleachers have been removed. It's an indoor track facility now.

Wisconsin is playing its WNIT games in the UW Fieldhouse, and the volleyball team still plays there (IIRC, Ohio State's VB team plays at St. John).

I've seen a couple of Illinois women's bb games at Huff Hall when they played there ... it was a really, really neat environment -- especially if you didn't get stuck behind one of the upper deck's ubiquitous posts or if you didn't have to, ahem, go (there were about two urinals in the entire building). A few good years in the mid-1990s and the Illini wbb team outgrew it. The volleyball & wrestling teams still use it.

Penn State uses Rec Hall for volleyball. The women's team -- at least before things took a nosedive the last couple of years -- wouldn't be able to play there, because it's too small. But the BJC was built too big.

Some of those gyms are still used for women's games -- I remember NCAA tournament games at UNC's Carmichael a decade or so ago. Kentucky's wbb & vb have played at Memorial Coliseum for years.

Michigan's old fieldhouse is now the hockey arena.

It would be a great thing to play a "turn back the clock" game against a patsy opponent over Christmas break at the old gyms.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Actually, speaking of Carmichael, the UNC women will be moving to the Dean Dome next season, IIRC. They played their last game at Carmichael several weeks ago.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

N.C. State usually plays one men's game in Reynolds Coliseum each season. The women play all of their games there.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

The UConn Field House (ha! beat Stormy to it).

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

University Gym at Ball State beats all!*

* High school gyms that is. And by all, I mean some.

Draft saved Draft deleted