1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The nightmare scenario when public services are privatized

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 19, 2012.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No. It would be 1.7 billion dollars.

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Sorry, raise it a nickel.

Instant profit.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Let them cut off expensive, unprofitable routes and see how fast the "profits" rise.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do that and watch how many newspaper publishers start whining in op/ed pieces..

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Gov. Christie's response - orders inspections, says it's not his fault...
    http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/gov_christie_calls_for_better.html

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fatboy's good at that.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

From the story ...

"The newspaper reported that since Christie took office, the Department of Corrections paid Community Education $71 million, 22 percent more than it did when Gov. Jon Corzine left office, but the number of beds under contract has gone down 11 percent."

And the workers are supposedly making $10.50 an hour. So ... where's all that money going?

I'm pretty sure we can guess.

And Christie whines that half of the inmates the Times calls escapees were actually parollees. So having roughly 2,500 non-parolee inmates escape over seven years isn't a problem?

And of course, one of the VPs of the company, instead of defending themselves, or fuck, admitting that they're FUBAR, decides to attack the Times as being "liberal". Hey Palatucci, how many times have you worked a night shift by yourself with 300 dangerous inmates?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You almost get the impression that the rush to privatize stuff has more to do with fueling campaign donations from potential contractors and politicians avoiding being held accountable than it does about saving money.
    And I really don't think privatization will protect a government from potential lawsuits.

9. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

The condition of that one particular facility is less a testament to the evils of privatization as it is yet another example of the evils of humankind.

My nephew was a guard at Riker's for about 2 years and some of the stuff he's told me about is enough to turn your stomach. Just really filthy, ugly, disgusting shit. I can't imagine the stuff he saw and can't bring himself to talk about.

There are state-run prisons like that all over America, and they're just as bad as anything that goes on in Bo Robinson. It's what happens when you stick hundreds of depraved fucking animals together in the same cage for long periods of time.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Bingo. There are lot of avowed free-marketeers who can't wait to start sucking from the government teat in the name of privatization.

You know, I recall how after 9-11 the federal government privatized its airline security because of the rank incompetence of the public sector... oh, wait, in a crisis, we did the exact opposite.

11. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Not disagreeing at all about the broader privitization issue, but please don't cite TSA as some shining example of how "government works." They suck donkey balls and the fact that we haven't had another 9/11 has absolutely zero to do with their screening techniques.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm not saying TSA is a shining beacon of light. But I'm saying when push comes to shove, when the safety and security of people are first and foremost in people's minds, even conservative Republicans tell the private sector to shove off.

Draft saved Draft deleted