1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL's ratings crisis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 17, 2016.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Apparently Rob Ryan was France's Def Coord in 1940

dixiehack likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can still hear Summerall reading the promos for "Murder, She Wrote" on Sunday nights.

HanSenSE and exmediahack like this.
  3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Summerall reading that promo always almost meant me glimpsing out the window at the gloom of 5 pm in the Midwest, knowing that winter was approaching.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm the other way, the Sunday night game is usually my only NFL appointment TV. If I can catch "Football Night in America," that covers what I missed during the day. Plus the Sunday nighter is usually a good matchup, not the dregs served up on Thursday and Monday. I'm also an irrationally big Al Michaels fan.

FileNotFound and CD Boogie like this.
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Despite all of the bloated NFL coverage, I miss that there isn't a George Michael Sports Machine-like show that just gives you a good rundown in 30 minutes. There isn't one in my local market, and the national networks are disappointing.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Germany was definitely overrated and one-dimensional.
    Britain exposed their weakness through the air, and Russia showed they couldn't play in cold weather.

Iron_chet likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I know it's not the NFL but ... "GERMANY AIN'T PLAYED NOBODY, PAWWWWWWWWWLLLLLL!"

UPChip likes this.
  8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Germany also played in a weak conference. Aryan North is still slow and also not great in hot weather. Germany was the only ones to make a football commitment in a skiing conference.

When they had the chance to join the Medit 12, they should have jumped at it. Geographically, they were isolated but had similar warmongering mindsets.

In 2016, the Medit 12 just cares more. Syria. Israel. Egypt. Iraq, Turkey. Lebanon is like Pitt now, a paper tiger still reveling in the 80s. Germany would have been a nice fit.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. They played and beat Poland and France. At the time they were highly ranked. Denmark and Norway were wild card playoff team in the previous wars They had Britain beat but couldn't prevent them from picking up HOFers Ike and Patton at the trade deadline. They invented the blitz. They had the season but instead of playing out the string they got aggressive, got fatigued and overextended. Scheduling Russia in the winter was a mistake that would have gotten any AD/GM fired but the owner couldn't stop from playing GM.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That's quality, yab.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I agree. I used to love watching wall to wall football, but I'm not 25 anymore and I have a family, a girlfriend, work responsibilities, and the desire to not spend my Sundays inside or drinking all day. I really enjoy the Football Night in America crew. Florio is a tool and Peter King is a league stooge, but I like Patrick, Dungy and Rodney Harrison. They have a good mix, and they'll rip on each other but not disrespectfully. I've seen enough Terry Bradshaw and Howie Long to last me a lifetime. Same for Boomer Esiason and Chris Berman. The recap on SNF is great and everything else is pretty useless.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

How different is it on Eastern time? I'm fortunate in California to have football start at 10 a.m. and be over around 8:30 p.m.

I can't imagine waiting until that time to watch a game. I'm sportsed-out by then. Even the local NHL and NBA teams play at 5 or 6 on Sunday as opposed to 7 on weekdays.

Draft saved Draft deleted