1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL's ratings crisis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 17, 2016.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I've always wondered about this. Seems like a great idea in any year. It was especially fortuitous this year because Sunday wasn't a "school night" thanks to the holiday known as MLK Day in most states but "Great Americans Day" in -- where else? -- Mississippi.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Here in Virginia they still let MLK have his day, but Friday was Lee-Jackson Day.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Holy shit! Great Americans day.
    Don't ever change, South. (I guess they don't).

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They can seed-cloud ice storms these days? What will they think of next?

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

That's going to happen. Biggest issue will be trying to make sure no one gets a short week with double travel, but too much money for it not to happen.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

AFC and NFC will play on the same day. That'll take care of the short week.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I think he means the week between the divisional round and conference championships. If one game is Saturday afternoon and the other is Sunday night, I could see where one team would have an advantage. Although it would be slight because the first team still has to wait to learn its opponent.

EDIT: I think I see what you mean now — both AFC games on Saturday and both NFC games on Sunday, or vice versa.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So they don't want coaches talking about spotting the other group of assholes a day and a half?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I actually consider this good news. When your profession is that dangerous, it's better to have a diagnosis that compels your retirement. I hope he made decent cash in his brief time. He'll be better off, I suspect, than many of his peers in 30 years.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

He was a UDFA who played three seasons. At best he has $600,000 or so left. I don't even think he qualifies for a pension. Maybe he had some insurance.

[EDIT] It appears he qualifies for the pension.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

WSJ with a look at some of the measures the league is considering. Switching up the commercial breaks seems to be one. There's also a line that they might simplify the Thursday night lineup to avoid "confusion" from fans who don't know where the games are. Guys -- it isn't confusion. You could put them on every single channel on the TV at the same time and we wouldn't watch.

NFL Calls New Plays to Protect Its Lucrative Franchise

Most interesting part was the final ratings numbers. Better than they were midseason but still not good, especially with prime time. But average viewership per game continued to fall 3.5% in the final weeks of the season and 8% overall. Audience sizes would be up one week and down the next. Ratings for Monday night games on ESPN and Thursday night games on the NFL Network dropped 12% and 14%, respectively. NBC Sunday Night Football’s audience dropped 10%.

Draft saved Draft deleted