1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL: Where Money Is All That Matters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Make sure you contact all 75,000 ticket holders -- many of whom have made this a weekend getaway, will fly in from points unknown, have hotel reservations, have scheduled time off at work, etc. -- and work with them on their scheduling changes, too. And also the businesses in the area who will happily juggle schedules to staff diners, parking lots, stores, etc., to make sure everything goes off without a hitch.

I've got sympathy for the Sean Taylor family and the Redskins.

But the game should be played as scheduled.

That said, the excuse offered by the NFL smells.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Idaho, as the NFL has proven time and again, it doesn't give a shit about the paid fans in attendance. And I'm sure it couldn't care less about the reasons you just listed (though it is a legitimate concern). It's all about the TV ad dollars.

3. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

The team did go back at work on Wednesday. And today. So the "in the real world" argument doesn't hold up. And in the real world, lots of people miss days when friends and/or co-workers die. I've worked for many different companies, most of which I hated. But none were that cold.

Thursday games are not the norm, so there's a fairly easy way to help the team in this instance: move the game to Sunday. You know, the day when most NFL games are played.

Too bad if the networks and the fans have to juggle their plans. Shit happened.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sure it does. If they are practicing Wednesday, then they can play a game a week later. And lots of people might miss days when someone dies, but the whole company doesn't shut down for weeks on end.

And what exactly is the reason for moving the game back, because whoever goes to the funeral has to take a plane ride Tuesday?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This game is the second the team would have played since Taylor's death. Yeah it's a Thursday, a quirky part of the schedule. But if they can play the first game after the tragedy as scheduled, they can play the next.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I hope like hell that when ROger Goodell shows up at the funeral to offer his sincere condolances, the Redskins tell him to pound sand up his ass...

7. Freedom...yeah, right.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

He's still immeasurably better than stiff suit Paul Tagliabue, who would probably duck out halfway thru.

Goodell at least has given the impression he gives a shit about the employees (see: visiting Kevin Everett on his own...Tagliabue probably has no idea who he is).

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

As Wilbon said on PTI this afternoon, the team can stay at his place if hotel problems are the only thing holding it back.

10. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Christ almighty. It's not about whether the team can play the game or not. Of course they can. This has nothing to do with their emotional state or shutting things down "for weeks on end."

But they're going to lose a day of practice on an already short week when they fly down to Florida and attend the funeral. Maybe you're unfamiliar with the NFL. But preparation -- and more importantly, rest -- are extremely important. Considering the extraordinary circumstances, moving the game to Sunday is the least the NFL can do for the team, and probably the only thing.

But it appears to be a moot point. The WaPo reported earlier today that neither the team nor the NFL has even talked about moving the game.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agree completely. You can't just change plans, as tough as that sounds. I would use the fans as the excuse, not hotels.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The NFL already makes adjustments for TV with their flex scheduling plan, changing times and even days of games.

What's the problem with doing a flex scheduling of this game?

Draft saved Draft deleted