1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL: Where Money Is All That Matters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I realize this topic was mentioned on the Sean Taylor thread, but I feel it deserves its own thread.

Under the current scenario, the Redskins would have to play on Sunday, fly en masse to Miami for Taylor's funeral on Monday and play the Bears on Thursday. The Bears have said they're perfectly fine with moving back the game.

A league source says this is unlikely "because of problems securing hotel rooms for both teams. There are also TV considerations because the game is airing on the NFL Network, and the league would be competing with its network TV partners if it were moved to Sunday or Monday."

Stay classy, NFL.

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Rage against the machine.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

People die every day. [/OJ]

4. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Didn't the Yankees play the night of Munson's funeral?

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

... unlike any other business entity anywhere.

6. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

I just don't get how Goodell and the NFL couldn't push the game back to Sunday. There's more than a few hotels in the D.C. area. And TV considerations shouldn't mean shit in the decision-making process.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Thank you.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Guess what, in real life people go to coworkers funerals and then go right back to work, sometimes during the same day. Sometimes those coworkers die in just as tragic ways as Sean Taylor.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Inexcusable.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I agree. People die. Work goes on. The funeral isn't on game day is it?

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Screw the hotel excuse. Just come out and say you're not giving up another dog in the fight that is NFL Network vs. Cable Companies.

That said, I'm going to take the heartless route too. This game is 10 days after his death.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Why not move it to Saturday night? There's no college football that day (just the Heisman announcement) and the NFL Network can keep its exclusivity. Shit happens, and when something as bad as this does, make a way to make the logistics work. You're a $6 billion a year company.

Draft saved Draft deleted