1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL or the Soprano Family?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sure the NFL would have taken this as far as they could. The Harbaughs, however, may be a different issue. Not every state has the right to publicity. California does, but Maryland does not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_rights

(Yes, I know, it's wikipedia).

Now, if the Harbaughs trademarked their name, then I'd think they'd have a really good case.

2. Baron Scicluna

Blog post doesn't say either way. The post made it seem like the guy caved in at the first letter from the league.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe that's because the guy has no case, Baron.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think their residences are in California and Michigan.

5. Baron Scicluna

Or, the guy has a case, but was told that it would cost him a considerable sum and a lot of years and a lot of stress to defend it.

Charlie Sheen's catchphrases, for example, caused a stir a couple of years ago because people were going to the U.S. Trademark Office and registering it for themselves.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/charlie-sheen-catchphrases-prompt-trademark-168810

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I think there's a pretty big difference between having a legitimate enterprise long before a given term was coined (or came into wide use) and trying to create something to make a quick buck.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That a guy is fined more for his socks being low than someone making a dangerous play says all you need to know about the NFL. It's corporate partners are more important than the players on the field.

Draft saved Draft deleted