1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL or the Soprano Family?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 24, 2013.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The shield can even make people give up trademarks when no one in the league office thought of it:

Carmine and Rocco must have paid a visit.
  2. RonClements

RonClements Member

Another proud moment for the Goodell administration.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am on the NFL's side here. The guy was obviously trying to make a quick buck by getting in their way. Reminds me of the guys who in the early days of the Internet would try to guess what a company might eventually call its website and then pre-register that domain name.

Also it's pretty clear law that an entity must vigorously pursue all infringement violations or it gives up the right to pursue any. They can't pick and choose and say this one's OK but that one isn't.
  4. RonClements

RonClements Member

True, LTL, but the NFL couldn't honor the guy's request for some tickets?
    He DID come up with the idea and the NFL is going to make bank on it.
  5. LongTimeListener

He didn't come up with shit. Harbaugh Bowl and Har-Bowl have been around since April 2011 when the schedule showed the Ravens playing the 49ers on Thanksgiving.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The NFL, co-staring Rae Carruth as Big Pussy
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But he was smart enough to trademark it. NFL should have thought of trademarking it before.

Should have hired a lawyer to write to the NFL that if they pursued it further, that they would pay court costs and attorneys fees if they lost.
  8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I see both sides of this one... I've seen this in a few cities that are about to get new franchises and someone goes out there and trademarks several different names and the franchise usually winds up giving the person tickets or something to get them to give up the name or the website or whatever...

Usually, it's handled in a much more friendly manner than this was...

My favorite ones were when MLB.com used to go to a law firm. The firm actually had a link on the front of the page that took you to majorleaguebaseball.com. Several years ago, baseball bought the website from them.

I remember in 2004, KerryEdwards.com was a dental practice.

Granted, those are ones that were unintentional, and this one wasn't, but he did buy it over a year ago and it wasn't like it was paying dividends at the time... If the guy was being a total douche about it and was trying to extort a shitload of money for it, well, then fuck him... But it wouldn't have killed the NFL to throw the guy two tickets...
  9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The more I think about it, the more I think I side with LTL on this one... Getting the name or the website is one thing... Selling shirts is another... No way should he be allowed to do that...
  10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

LTL's right. This guy was just trying to cash in on a clever name that other people invented. The guy's right to trademark something like that seems iffy at best.

First, I'm pretty sure the NFL would have carried out its threat of an infringement lawsuit and there's a good chance they would win it. Second, the Harbaughs should also contest such a trademark on the grounds that it infringes on their right of publicity.
  11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Pat Riley still own "Three-Peat"?
  12. LongTimeListener

Why would you think he didn't talk to a lawyer? I bet he did and they told him he had no case and so his only measure of revenge was to try to embarrass the NFL.
Draft saved Draft deleted