1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL Combine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Feb 22, 2007.

1. SixToedMonroe

SixToedMonroe Member

The majority of Americans could care less about Major League Baseball. It is quickly slipping out of the high major level for sports. And I'll be there cheering the end of it when it happens in the next couple decades.

2. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

There's no accounting for taste. The majority of Americans watch American Idol and the Anna Nicole Smith hearings, too. Does that make those shows better than documentaries on PBS or the Discovery Channel? No, just further proof of the dumbing down of America.

And the NFL (and NASCAR) are Exhibits 1 and 1A.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Truth is sixtoed, a majority of Americans couldn't give a shit about any sports...despite what we might think.

As for MLB, attendance and revenues hit all-time highs last year so I guess it's not exactly slipping out of the high major level.

It's still No. 2 behind the mediocre, thug-infested, steroid-fueled, gambling tool football league.

4. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

Amen!!!

5. SixToedMonroe

SixToedMonroe Member

Sportswriters are a freakish alcove of extreme support for major league baseball. I have never seen a group so intent on keeping the interest going when TV ratings have clearly shown that the interest isn't there outside the northeast corridor and Chicago.

It's funny to hear baseball fans opine about how it is a very complex game and isn't for simple-minded. Give me a freaking break. It is boring, flat-out. Old people like baseball because it is very easy to follow and doesn't get their blood pressure up. Sure some of NASCAR's biggest fans just like all the pretty colors and "like to go fast" but at least it is exciting and there is more than one thing going on at a time.

I could care less about spring training. I know 10 people who care about spring training reports and eight of of 10 are sportswriters. The other two are transplanted New Yorkers who can't get enough of it.

I could talk major league baseball on the radio here in middle america and get three calls - all from out of towners. I could talk NFL football or NASCAR and get several shows full of callers.

6. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

No one is disputing that the NFL is the country's most popular sports league. That doesn't mean it's the best. No one would dispute that American Idol is the country's most popular TV show, or that Justin Timberlake is the country's most popular music artist. Does that make any of the above quality? No, just means the country ain't too bright.

Personally, I like sports (and music, and movies, etc.) because I like them, not whether they're popular or not. And, by the way, baseball is still very popular. To say baseball isn't popular in St. Louis, Detroit, Los Angeles (no NFL teams) and Seattle is just pure ignorance on your part.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Heck, in certain parts of the Southeast college football is infinitely more popular than pro football. Atlanta is one city where that's probably true.

8. SixToedMonroe

SixToedMonroe Member

Again you disparage the intelligence of people because they don't like baseball and you do. It's that kind of arrogance by baseball-loving sportswriters that I find laughable.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I find your generalizations about who likes baseball laughable. So only old people, New Yorkers/Boston folks and Chicago residents like baseball? Strange.
    I also like how you say old people like it because it doesn't get their blood pressure up. You've never watched a playoff game or seen a game-winner home run or strikeout or whatnot apparently.
    You don't like baseball, that is obvious. You could just not read about then instead of bitching about why people like it.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

So how much less could you care about baseball?

The phrase is You couldn't care less about baseball.

11. SixToedMonroe

SixToedMonroe Member

Thanks, Hank. I seriously need a copy-editor.

12. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

He's a football fan, he's not too bright. Unlike us elitist, intellectually-arrogant types who have the nerve to appreciate baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted