1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL, a league without scruples

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Feb 6, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, am sure it was going to be pure profit for the pastor...

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Dooley's alma mater?

[​IMG]

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Try again.

[​IMG]

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Double J is closer to the truth.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Fixed. :) :D ;D

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Some did, and I respect the reasons they made their decision ... I was just pointing out the reason at least one (semi-large) church chose to obey the order.

Although it seems hypocritical that one can go to a bar to watch a game among friends, but not in that bastion of iniquity known as a church (where, to be honest, I don't view it as "going to church to watch football," but an opportunity to enjoy something with a few friends.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Blame the legal profession for the church crackdown. You can't protect your rights with selective enforcement.

There was a story a few years ago about how big, mean MLB wasn't letting Little League teams use its names like Cardinals and Red Sox. Let's say MLB looks the other way so the Moddy Little League can use those names. So some guy prints up millions of t-shirts and jackets with the Cardinals and Red Sox logos. He doesn't have a license, doesn't pay MLB a dime for the rights. So they bust him....except he says, "It's not the <i>St. Louis</i> Cardinals and <i>Boston</i> Red Sox....it's the <i>Moddy Little League</i> Cardinals and Red Sox.

To avoid that kind of thing, they crack down on everyone. It's just business in an increasingly litigious world.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Poindexter, he needs to return to the board, stat.

10. Sly

Sly Active Member

Another reason they don't allow the mass viewings is that those groups aren't counted in the Nielsen ratings. The NFL wants to make sure CBS gets its share as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted