1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL, a league without scruples

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Feb 6, 2007.

1. And no union worthy of the name.

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

The NFL did not create the TV-size rule. That's in the area of the federal law on trademarks, rebroadcasting, etc., and should be updated to reflect the actual TV sales market.

I found it odd that some of the churches backed down so easily ... would any jury (or judge looking for re-election votes) side with a corporation over a church, especially in these circumstances ?

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

As far as churches backing down quickly ... I can't speak for all, but I can speak for the church I attend (not the one that was notified by the NFL, but one in suburban Indy), which has had a SB party for years.

With the local team involved, we had planned on having one this year.

The church leadership canceled it, not because we wanted to flaunt the NFL in court, but because we believe the Bible requires us to obey all laws that do not directly contradict the Bible, whether or not we agree with them (OK, if this is the case, I tend to do about 10 mph worth of sinning every time I get on the highway, but alas ...).

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

crimson, other Indy churches, though, were quoted as saying they kept their parties in place in defiance, basically saying the ministry of providing "family" options was more important than the NFL's broadcasting rights.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Union? Not in any meaning of the word you can think of.

I think it should correctly called an "association" or a "club'

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I worked with Rachel in college. Good gal (even if all she wore were Auburn shirts). Very underrated writer, and I'm glad she's getting props here. And no, I'm not Rachel. ::)

7. Thanks for stopping by, Rachel!

Had to be said.

8. dooley_womack1

Way to edit out my last sentence, Context Man.

9. No problem, dools.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

At least not here... maybe in that Karaoke bar, with heels...

11. dooley_womack1

You don't have a chan....I mean, what are you talking about?

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The church was also charging admission.

Draft saved Draft deleted