1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The next Shocka coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Apr 14, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

News conference at 1:30 cdt to announce Gregg Marshall?

http://www.kansas.com/277/story/44457.html

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He finally got someone to bite - I assume he canned the asshole act long enough to get the job.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I don't think y'all understand. He LOOOOVVVVEEEEES Winthrop. That's why he went back. He'd never turn around less than a year later and leave again.

Miserable prick.

And yet he may still be more likable than his wife. Wait'll you get a load of her, Shockers.

4. Please, do tell. I'd like to hear all of the Gregg Marshall horror stories. Just for the sake of curiosity, of course... :)

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I somehow missed this character issue with Marshall? What has he done?

6. Moderator1

I've never heard anyone say anything about his coaching other than he knows what the hell he's doing.
    I've also never heard anythng other than he's an arrogant prick. Even from his friends.

He was involved, briefly, in a search I was covering a few years ago. A mutual friend calls.
    "Was Gregg in that thing at all."
    "Well, they loved a whole lot about him. They just couldn't get past one thing."
    "That he's an arrogant prick?"
    "Uh, yeah. It must be bad if it comes from his friends, too."
    "We've been telling him for years and he won't listen. Just tone it down some."

Either he toned it down some or the Shockers don't care.
    The guy damn sure can coach.

Not a character issue, ondeadline. Nothing shady. Just arrogance in abundance.

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Unless they're paying him a ton of money, isn't this a lateral move?

8. Moderator1

No.
    You can get an at large bid at Wichita State.
    Not out of the Big South.

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

True, but it's not like he's needed an at-large bid at Winthrop. I just saw Marshall making a bigger jump. Maybe going to a terrible SEC or ACC team or something like that.

10. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I guess what I'm trying to say is this looks like a move from rookie ball to Class A. I thought if you had as much success in rookie ball as Marshall has had, you should probably skip Class A and move straight to AA or AAA ball.

11. Moderator1

Valid points. Except when you are an arrogant prick, those schools won't hire you.
    Class A to AAA is more like it. Wichita State ain't the majors, it is close. His record should indeed get him better.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Moddy speaks the truth. He's a Prick - with a capital P.

Just look at ALL the schools who have pursued him or who have been rumored to have gone after him. Then, they interview him, and wah-la, he's still at Winthrop.

And let's not forget about him taking the CofC job, only to back out the very next day, ala Bobby Cremins.

Draft saved Draft deleted