1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The next idea for a lame-ass Will Ferrell sports movie...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Sep 25, 2015.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I agree. It was a different kind of movie, more family-oriented, but it had some good laughs in there. The interactions with Ditka were good, I thought.

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

If anyone hasn't seen Ferrell in Everything Must Go, I recommend it. I wouldn't necessarily say it's full-on dark comedy, but it's close.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm a Ferrell fan, but not everything is great. His stuff can be very weird, so it's not always a guaranteed success.
    But I like weird.
    I love 'Semi-Pro' and I like 'Talladega Nights.'
    'Blades of Glory' wasn't very good, but it had some funny bits.

As for the non-sports stuff, I love 'Step Brothers.'
    And 'The Other Guys' is pretty funny.
    I'm one of the only people who liked 'Casa de mi Padre.'

I have no interest in 'Elf' or 'Kicking and Screaming.' I'm not a family-movie person.

'Stranger than Fiction' was alright, and so was 'Everything Must Go.' Not great, but alright.

I was really disappointed in the IFC mini-series a few years ago.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Elf is my mom's favorite Christmas movie now. I think that's one of his best performances too - Family friendly enough, but just naughty enough to appeal to kids with the burping bits and what not. It's probably somewhat thankless to be good in a movie that shoots as broadly as that one.

The IFC series, do you mean Spoils of Babylon? He was really good in that as the narrator slash author who was getting wasted during the intro segments. Unfortunately though, he was way more interesting in those than the actual series was.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ferrell was part of Elf, which is probably the best Christmas movie since the lamp was a major award. He gets a big pass for that one.

It was also directed by the guy who had a big hand in saving super hero movies.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There could have been a really great ABA movie but Semi-Pro was not it.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Spoils of Babylon' - that was it. It was interesting. As I said, I like weird, so I give them a lot of credit for doing it.
    Ferrell wasn't in it much, but I thought he was one of the creators.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't think it was intended to be a movie about the ABA. The ABA was a context for doing some strange, funny bits.
    Creative intent is not a defense for making a bad movie. If you didn't like, you didn't like it. That's cool.
    Personally, I liked it a lot and though it was funny. The fact that it was not an attempt to portray the ABA does not bother me in the least.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The facts of the ABA are better than any fiction that you could do on the league. Just imagine if Marvin Barnes had kept a diary. That said, Semi-Pro was a'ight.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

My grandfather was a butcher, so "Meat comes first!" made me laugh really hard. Also, the way the nickname Juicebox gets delivered, as if it were the worst thing someone could be called, gets me.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I saw Talladega Nights the night before my wedding. Might have been the best decision I made that week. :D

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I guess I'll make a TV analogy:
    I've always been fond of 'Hogan's Heroes;' however, I have always accepted that it is not a real depiction of life in a German POW camp or of Allied intelligence operations.

Draft saved Draft deleted