1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The next generation of copy editors.....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark2010, May 28, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

..... can be seen live on ABC TV (8 p.m. ET/PT) tonight in the finals of the Scripps National Spelling Bee.

These middle schoolers are spelling words that some of us, university degree not withstanding, have never even HEARD of. :(

So, how long before some enterprising editor/publisher decides to hire some of these twerps at minimum wage for copy editing purposes. It would, I must admit, make the perfect after school job and surely beats flipping burgers --- which is what some of us were doing at age 16.

Get up, go to school, come to the newspaper office and assist the poor paginator (singular, of course) with spelling and grammar, work on your Harvard entrance essay during downtime. Oh, and I'm sure you can train them to take a few linescores over the phone as well.

Well, we have seen the future..... and it wears braces, pigtails and nerd glasses.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah, because all copy editors do is check spellings.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Eye just use spell check for all may corrections. Their seems too bee No problems.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Dude ... just go with it. I don't think he was being serious.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. Relax.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If the kids are this smart in spelling, I would hope they would be smart enough to avoid the newspaper industry and go somewhere where they would likely be paid a heckuva lot more for their talents.

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

The optimism that there will be a next generation of copy editors brightens me a bit.

Although, of course no one cares about spelling and grammar if a story is on the Internet. It does not at all make the AP and Washington Post and everyone else look less professional when they post copy replete with errors that'd embarrass a fifth-grader.

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

My thoughts exactly. These kids are way too smart to get into journalism.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Realizing that Scripps sponsors this thing and seeing all the names of local papers on the kids "id badges" makes me sad.

10. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Yeah, just what we need in a newsroom, more weirdos spelling out words in their hands to impress their home-schooling mommies.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This is our third spelling bee thread.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep, I noticed that, too. Of course, my former paper was not included. No doubt most of the middle schoolers from here in Podunkville are all too into crystal meth.

Draft saved Draft deleted