1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The next Comedy Central Roast will be... James Franco...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

This one is one my favorite of all of these roasts.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

She was very funny - but of all the roasters, hers was clearly written by others. It sounded the most like the other roasts (and by that, I mean like Jeff Ross material). I think he gave her lines that even he thought might cross the line (this generation's Phil Hartman - hopefully? - whoa)

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Whoever uploaded that video somehow misspelled both "Norm MacDonald" and "Bob Saget." Weird.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Leggero's act is similar to what she did at the roast. Her stand up is really funny and while most of them use writer on some level, and the actors probably completely use them, it wouldn't surprise me if the bulk of Leggero's material was hers.

Since the roasts are basically what Ross is known for, I doubt he gets in the habit of giving away too many jokes.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

"You had me at spaghetti."

I laughed my ass off at that.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I loved Samberg's schtick.

I don't recall seeing anybody laugh as hard as Jonah Hill and Bill Hader throughout the show.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'll be the contrarian here -- I didn't care much for it at all, in fact I could barely get through the first half before I just started channel surfing again. I thought Rogen was totally out of his element, and it seemed like he couldn't go two seconds without breaking into giggles or going "uhhh." And yes guys, I get it, everyone's Jewish and Franco's a really attractive guy who's probably gay. It just seemed like the show went on just those two notes.

That said, I did switch back later and saw the tail end of Hader's bit, and that was good (I'll have to see the whole thing at some point), and I didn't see Ross' segment, and I'm usually a big fan of his. But, overall, a disappointment.

Also, it's not the fault of this particular roast, but I really don't like how the format is now. Before, it seemed a little more freewheeling, and you had a lot of people up on the stage, whether they were going to roast or not, which gave the roasters more targets and a kind-of "what the hell is HE/SHE doing there vibe" Now it's just a few people sitting in a semi-circle waiting to be called on their turn like it's a third-grade class. It all seems so "formal."

I don't know, maybe I just miss Greg Giraldo more than I thought.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It would be the 1st time in 20 years Stern would be on a funny show

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We're on opposite ends of the viewing spectrum.
    I thought the CC roasts in which they chose the roastee and the roasters just for the WTF factor were dull.
    Roasting Pam Anderson or Shatner or Flav was lame. They're not people; they're caricatures.

Rogen and Jonah Hill were out of their elements, but I enjoyed both of them, especially Hill.

It was my favorite one, better than Saget.
    Some of the others have had good moments but the shows overall have left me flat.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

He could not take it. His ego is too fragile.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I couldn't watch more than 5-10 minutes of Pamela Anderson, Shatner and Flav's roasts. They sucked, and Pam's was just downright uncomfortable.

Saget's was great, but I think Franco topped it.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Hill's laughter seemed a little too fake for me. He kept looking for the camera.

Draft saved Draft deleted