1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The next athlete biopic?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 26, 2007.

?

Which famous athlete's life would make the most compelling film?

1. Joe DiMaggio

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Joe Frazier

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Dick Butkus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Walter Payton

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Ted Williams

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Arthur Ashe

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Pete Maravich

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. Johnny Unitas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Jim Brown

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  10. Other

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd go with Paul Robeson, son of a former slave, acclaimed actor and singer, stud athlete, political outcast. The guy led a fascinating life and yet not many people know who he is because much of his work was banned. Look him up. He had a life that would make up three or four good movies
    Walter Camp called him the best football player he'd ever seen, played pro ball, got a law degree, sang on Broadway, acted in movies, became a political pariah during the 50s for his ties to Commies, active in civil rights.

2. Isn't it time for another movie about Steve Prefontaine?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've always wondered how many times a day he says, "No, it's pronounced Koontz..." ;D

4. Mizzougrad96

Haven't they been making a Jackie Robinson biopic for the last 10 years or so?

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Even though Ashe's story would be the most compelling and interesting to watch, the Rock gave me a vision of Walter Payton that I was not expecting when he was on Jay Leno the other night.

Apparently, Payton is known to practice ballet moves, especially plies. That is a vision I could have lived without.

6. Mizzougrad96

Lynn Swann did ballet... It's nothing new for football players...

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Starman hit it right on the head with Ruth. John Goodman is fun to watch, but his portrayal was abysmal at best. And write-brained, how can DiMaggio be boring? The dude knocked boots with MARILYN FREAKIN' MONROE! He's one of the last few athletes that, until that bio was written about him a few years ago, still had an aura of mystique about him.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Ted Williams, easily. Just the determination -- getting to .406 on the final day of the 1941 season and, as GB said, a home run on the final at-bat is a great ending. And the time spent in WWII makes for a great second story-line.

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Korea, too, right?

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Nice list, Starman. I was thinking Owens, Louis and Zaharias could all get the bigtime Hollywood movie treatment.

One other name that might have a bit more limited audience, but you could build a decent storyline around would be Ben Hogan.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Indeed. He was a Naval flight instructor.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Dimaggio was a boring guy. His marriage to Monroe lasted nine months, and he refused to talk about it after she died.

There's only one episode in the marriage that would make a compelling scene in a movie: the time when Joe went with Marilyn on a USO tour stop and she was cheered by 80,000 troops. She told him later, "Joe, it was wonderful. You've never heard such cheering." And in a quiet voice, he said, "Yes, I have."

Draft saved Draft deleted