1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The next athlete biopic?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 26, 2007.

?

Which famous athlete's life would make the most compelling film?

1. Joe DiMaggio

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Joe Frazier

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Dick Butkus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Walter Payton

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Ted Williams

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Arthur Ashe

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Pete Maravich

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. Johnny Unitas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Jim Brown

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  10. Other

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

It would probably be best if the athlete in question was either later on in life or has passed on. DiMaggio seems like a very good subject, with his records, playing for the Yanks, marrying Monroe and being one of the most private athletes ever. Adrien Brody would make a great Joe D, physically speaking.

Obviously, there are a ton of other sports stars that would make a great pic, so fire away.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

A real movie or that ESPN bullshit?

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

A REAL movie made by people that actually know what they're doing. I'm thinking along the lines of Ali, Jake LaMotta, etc...

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

The most compelling from your list would be Arthur Ashe followed by Jim Brown.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'd go for Ted Williams or Arthur Ashe.

Williams had a great career, broken up by his service in the war, and you can't get much of a better ending than his final game.

I think Ashe would make a fascinating subject.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Rusty Kuntz.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hasn't there already been a Pete Maravich one -- "The Pistol," I think?

I think Arther Ashe is fascinating. Not sure how movieish his life really was, but it's very interesting.

Speaking of tennis, I think Martina would be interesting as well.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I vote Ted Williams. What a character:

his bullheadedness around Foxx and Grove as a Red Sox rookie, the magical .406 season, his first stint as a war hero, his oh-so-close Sox teams after WWII, his second stint as a war hero (and almost dying in Korea), his .388 renaissance season at age 38, his eternal clashes with the Knights of the Keyboard, and that climactic home run in his final at-bat ... and then not tipping his cap, <a href="http://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/hub_fans_bid_kid_adieu_article.shtml">as described so memorably by John Updike</a>.

That would be a fascinating movie. Too bad the best actor to portray him is already dead:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Jim Brown. Ted Williams. Dimaggio is boring.

10. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

I'm fairly certain that an Arthur Ashe biopic is already in the works, and if my info is correct, Nick Cannon will be playing him.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Here are a few who have already had movies made about them, but deserve another (and better) shot at it:

1) Jack Roosevelt Robinson.

2) Joe Louis Barrow.

3) Jim Thorpe.

4) George Herman Ruth.

5) Leroy "Satchel" Paige.

6) Paul Robeson.

7) Lou Gehrig.

8) Dizzy Dean.

9) Babe Didrikson Zaharias.

10) Jesse Owens.

And a few who should get one for the first time:

Moses Fleetwood Walker.

Bobby Layne.

Gordie Howe.

Hank Aaron.

Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain (please god, NOT as a cheap-knockoff ESPN movie).

12. A.J. Foyt...it would be an extremely quotable flick. Plus you'd get to see several death-defying moments:

January, 1950 – Foyt nearly drowned when his boat capsized outside of Galveston; he clung to a buoy for nearly eight hours before being rescued. Foyt had put a lifejacket on earlier because he’d been cold. His buddy didn’t and drowned on his 16th birthday.

January, 1965 – He flipped down an embankment in turn nine at Riverside (CA) Raceway when the brakes failed on the stock car he was driving. The track doctor pronounced him dead at the scene but fellow driver Parnelli Jones noticed movement and scooped the dirt from Foyt’s mouth that had been suffocating him. He sustained a bruised aorta and broken back among other injuries.

June, 1966 – He became trapped in his burning rear-engine Lotus Indy car when it hit the wall at Milwaukee in practice. Suffered second and third degree burns.

Circa 1968 – He was attacked by a lion in the infield at the Fairground Speedway in DuQuoin, Ill. The lion, on display while race cars qualified, broke away from its stake in the ground and lunged at onlooker Foyt, taking him down. Foyt was bruised and badly scratched. Foyt raced later that day but had to change into a different uniform after the lion inflicted multiple lacerations.

May, 1972 – He was run over by his own race car when he jumped out of it during a refueling stop at DuQuoin Fairgrounds because the car caught fire. He sustained burns, plus a broken leg and ankle.

July, 1981 – He nearly lost his right arm to the Armco guardrail in an Indy car crash at Michigan Speedway. He spent the autumn painting miles of fencing on his ranch as his therapy for the badly broken arm.

July, 1983 – He crashed his stock car in practice at Daytona but won the Paul Revere 250 sports car race later that night. Woke up the next morning and could barely move—he’d broken two vertebra in his crash the day before.

September, 1990 – He sailed off the mile-long straightaway at Elkhart Lake, WI’s Road America when his brakes failed. His car crashed into a dirt embankment, missing a huge rock boulder by about two feet. He sustained severe injuries to his lower legs and feet from which he still suffers.

August, 2005 – He was attacked by a swarm of Africanized Killer Bees while clearing land in Hempstead, TX. Sustained over 200 stingers in his head and went into systemic shock but refused to go to the hospital.

August, 2007 - His bulldozer plunged sideways into a lake as the bank gave way under the 35,000 lb. machine. He had been working the dirt on the lake’s edge which was about three feet deep at that location, that is, until the bank gave way.

Draft saved Draft deleted